GREGG CAMPAIGN RESPONDS TO LATEST HOLCOMB NEGATIVE ATTACK AD

first_imgGREGG CAMPAIGN RESPONDS TO LATEST HOLCOMB NEGATIVE ATTACK ADINDIANAPOLIS – Short on money, ideas and time, today Lt. Governor Eric Holcomb and his Washington DC allies launched yet another false attack on John Gregg.The 30-second ad, which does not provide a single citation or source for any of the accusations, is running statewide.“Eric Holcomb has run for three different statewide offices in the last six months so you’d think he would be able to come up with a single idea, a policy proposal or something to indicate just how he would lead the state forward rather than relying on these stale and desperate attacks,” said Tim Henderson, Gregg for Governor campaign manager. “Sadly, he can’t because Eric Holcomb brings nothing new to the table. He’s just a taller version of Mike Pence and will continue the same failed economic policies that have left so many middle class Hoosier families behind.”Please find a fact check on Eric Holcomb’s ad below.Charge: “…did side work for scandal-ridden Enron….Fact: John Gregg did zoning work to construct a power plant.“I had represented a company in Knox County that had built a power plan. An attorney doing legal work out of Louisville had called and asked me if I’d help him do some of the zoning. I do a lot of zoning work; it’s a large percentage of my income from the Vincennes law office. The company would pay me but I worked with their independent attorney, who was a great guy to work with. I didn’t think anything of it. I did stuff for them off and on for a year and a half, on their power plant and related issues. The company—well, you’d recognize the name, it was known as Enron—sadly went in the tank.” [“From Sandborn to the Statehouse,” pp 132-133]For more information on John Gregg or his campaign for Governor of Indiana, please visit www.greggforgovernor.com or call 317-510-1876.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

Cops: Hicksville Music School Teacher Sexually Abused Girls

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Kenton Burt was arrested for allegedly sexually abusing two girls over the course of three years at a family-owned Hicksville music school (Credit: NCPD)A 62-year-old Connecticut man who worked as an instructor at a Hicksville music school that his family operates was accused on Thursday of sexually abusing two female students during private lessons over the course of three years. Nassau County police arrested Kenton Burt at Burt Music School on Newbridge Road Thursday without incident, police said. Burt, who is from Kent, Connecticut, was charged with two counts of first-degree sexual abuse. Police alleged that on numerous occasions from January 2012 and March of this year, Burt sexually abused two female students, between the ages of 9 and 14, during private lessons. A police spokesman said one of Burt’s family members owns the school. Police are continuing the investigation. Detectives ask anyone who feels they may have been victimized to call the Special Victims Squad at 516-573-4022. Burt will be arraigned Friday at First District Court in Hempstead.last_img read more

Zidane delighted to call on ‘world’s best’ Ronaldo

first_imgMADRID, Spain (Reuters) – Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said he was delighted to be able to call on the “best player in the world” in Cristiano Ronaldo, as his side gear up to defend their Club World Cup title.Ronaldo won his fifth Ballon d‘Or, for world player-of-the-year, last week, to draw level with his rival and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi.The debate about who is the greater player is a perennial feature of soccer punditry, but Zidane is convinced he has the world’s best at his disposal.“I have the best in the world and he is showing it in this shirt,” Zidane told a news conference in Abu Dhabi yesterday. “I am delighted to have him, for me he is the best.”Madrid face United Arab Emirates league champions Al Jazira on their home soil in the semi-final today, with the final on Saturday.Although Madrid’s next La Liga match is a crucial Clasico clash against Barcelona at the Santiago Bernabeu on December 23, Zidane said his squad is fully focused on the inter-continental tournament.”We will do everything we can to win this competition,“ he said. ”It will not be easy; first we have to get to the final. We’re only thinking about winning the Club World Cup.”There are no easy games. We have a semi-final against, a team that people say is easy, but we don’t think that it will be – quite the opposite.“Look at last year against Kashima (Antlers). Against Real Madrid everybody wants to have a great game and for that we will go out focused.”Madrid won the competition for the first time in 2014 and again last year, when they beat Japanese side Kashima Antlers 4-2 after extra time.The Spanish champions can become the first side to successfully defend the trophy since the tournament began in 2000 and can pull level with arch-rivals and record winners Barcelona on three victories.last_img read more

Badgers win on Team Day, unbeaten in Big Ten

first_imgGREGORY DIXON/Herald photoOn a beautiful autumn afternoon Sunday, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team notched another Big Ten victory as it defeated Northwestern 2-0 in front of a slew of local youth soccer teams at the McClimon Soccer Complex.With local elementary, middle and high school players in attendance for Team Day, the Badgers put on a show, scoring two scintillating second half goals to continue their unbeaten streak in the Big Ten.After successfully overcoming a challenging first half without conceding a goal, Wisconsin (6-3-2, 2-0-1 Big Ten) entered the final period with guns blazing and an energized attack, and Northwestern (8-3-0, 1-2-0) was never able to mount a comeback.”I didn’t think the first half was well-played, and I didn’t think we were as sharp or crisp as we could be,” Wisconsin head coach Jeff Rohrman said. “But I thought we responded well at halftime with the way we came out in the second half. We kept the ball better, we were better going forward, our runs were better, our timing was better, our concentration [and] our touches were better, and, as a result, we were able to create a little more around the box, and we got a couple of goals for it.”Wisconsin snatched the lead in the 54th minute when sophomore Andy Miller whipped a cross to senior William Bagayoko at the edge of Northwestern’s box. In a moment of brilliance, Bagayoko received the cross and cleverly flicked the ball with his heel to senior Reid Johnson, who took the cheeky pass and chipped it over a helpless Northwestern goalkeeper.”I saw Reid was running with me, so I just flicked it into the area and he fought for it and put it in the back of the net,” Bagayoko said.Eighteen minutes later, Wisconsin scored the all-important insurance goal when sophomore Victor Diaz picked out fellow Spaniard Pablo Delgado on an overlapping run 30 yards from goal. Delgado made his defender look foolish with a crafty cutback and then slotted the ball past Northwestern’s keeper into the lower left corner of the net. “I felt like I had to score that goal,” Delgado said. “It was good for the team because we became more calm and it was easier to get the win. When I dribbled by my [defender], I just looked at the goalie and I had a space by the near post, so I just hit it.”In addition to the team’s success on offense, Wisconsin has also been playing stellar in the defensive third lately, tallying its second shutout in a row with Sunday’s win. While Rohrman admits his back line has plenty to do with the accomplishment, he extends the success to include both forwards and midfielders as well. “The back four have been solid the whole year and those five guys have done an outstanding job in terms of shutting things down,” Rohrman said. “It’s a credit to them for sure, but I also think that when we get shutouts, it extends even beyond those five — in terms of the midfielders in what they do in getting back, and transition, and getting behind the ball — those are the little things that we talk about that we have to continue to do well, and we’re going to continue to get shutouts if we do those things well.”After losing their first four Big Ten matches last season, the Badgers are determined to get conference revenge and continue their unbeaten Big Ten run as they look ahead to their three remaining Big Ten match-ups against Ohio State, Penn State and Indiana.While Rohrman’s squad is ultimately focused on Wednesday’s match-up with Mid-Con opponent Western Illinois, the team is also excited to continue its quest for Big Ten hardware.”We’ve got all of the confidence in the world right now — especially in Big Ten play,” Johnson said. “We’re all ready for Ohio State next weekend, we just have to take care of Western Illinois first. We’re definitely ready to keep rolling in the Big Ten though, that’s for sure.”last_img read more