Local NewsUS News Facebook By Digital AIM Web Support – January 28, 2021 Twitter Facebook Pinterest WhatsApp WhatsApp Pinterest Twitter ATLANTA (AP) — Two journalists were kicked out of a public town hall event and threatened with arrest for trying to ask a question of Republican U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, who has come under heavy criticism for supporting social media posts that advocated violence against Democratic officials. The journalists from WRCB-TV were invited to attend the Wednesday event in Dalton, Georgia, and were given credentials for it, Callie Starnes, WRCB-TV’s news director, told The Associated Press. “Once we arrived we were told we were not allowed to speak to guests or the congresswoman,” the reporter, Meredith Aldis, said on the station’s broadcast Wednesday night. In a video posted online by the Chattanooga, Tennessee-based news station, the reporter can be heard starting to ask Greene a question when the congresswoman stops her and says, “I’m talking to my constituents.” A staffer from Greene’s office then approaches the reporter and tells her to leave, before he calls over a sheriff’s deputy. The deputy accuses the reporter of “criminally trespassing” and says: “If you don’t leave you’re going to go to jail.” Starnes said Aldis was asking Greene about her social media posts and calls for her to be expelled from Congress because of them. The Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment and directed questions to Greene’s office. Nick Dyer, a spokesman for Greene, said in an email: “This was a town hall for constituents. Not a press conference. Every attendee (besides media) was allowed to ask a question and Congresswoman Greene answered every question.” Greene, who was sworn in to office earlier this month, represents northwest Georgia’s 14th Congressional District. Throughout her campaign last year, she sought to tightly control news media coverage, often not allowing certain news organizations to attend events and giving interviews only sparingly. A die-hard supporter of former President Donald Trump, Greene has a long history of incendiary social media posts — including ones in which she expressed racist views and support for QAnon conspiracy theories, which focus on the debunked belief that top Democrats are involved in child sex trafficking, Satan worship and cannibalism. Most of her pronouncements were reported publicly before she won her Republican primary in August and the general election in November. Greene has also spread false claims about the integrity of November’s presidential election — repeating Trump’s baseless allegations of fraud — and railed against public health requirements implemented to slow the spread of the coronavirus. And in social media posts reported by Media Matters for America, a liberal watchdog group, Greene pushed conspiracy theories or “liked” posts that challenged the veracity of mass shootings at schools in Newtown, Connecticut, and Parkland, Florida. A report from CNN published earlier this week surfaced social media activity where Greene showed support for Facebook posts that advocated violence against Democrats and the FBI, including posts that called for the death of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former President Barack Obama. Greene tweeted a response, saying: “Many posts have been liked. Many posts have been shared. Some did not represent my views.” That’s led to another round of strong condemnation from Democrats and even some fellow Republicans. Pelosi excoriated House Republican leaders Thursday for appointing Greene to the chamber’s education committee, saying that Greene had “mocked the killing of little children,” a reference to the shooting at a Newtown elementary school. A spokesman for House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy said in a statement to Axios that the posts were “deeply disturbing” and said McCarthy would “have a conversation” with Greene about them. TAGS Journalists booted from Marjorie Taylor Greene town hall Previous articleVirus variant from South Africa detected in US for 1st timeNext articleMichigan debates lifting ban on high school contact sports Digital AIM Web Support
The binding vote on executive remuneration was at the heart of the Commission’s initial legislative proposal and hailed as a step towards a greater focus on long-termism by then-commissioner Michel Barnier.In a position paper, Eurosif added that it was aware of the argument CBCR could be “burdensome and onerous” if imposed on all listed companies. “We therefore recommend policymakers think about ways to focus to alleviate such burden and make recommendations in that direction,” it said. It also argued that it would be preferable to amend accounting regulation, rather than the Shareholder Rights Directive, as a means of introducing CBCR.Eurosif said the rationale for institutional investors backing CBCR was one of managing reputational risk.It noted that the distinction between illegal tax evasion and legal tax avoidance had “dissolved in the eyes of governments, NGOs and citizens”.It added that aggressive tax practices risked undermining a company’s sustainability strategies, and that the short-term gains or profits achieved by such tactics could fall away as a result of the medium to long-term impact of reputational risk.,WebsitesWe are not responsible for the content of external sitesLink to Eurosif position paper on Shareholder Rights Directive Eurosif has questioned attempts by the European Parliament to introduce greater corporate tax transparency by amending the Shareholder Rights Directive.The sustainable investment association stressed that it was wholly supportive of the introduction of country-by-county reporting (CBCR) for all listed companies but said that agreeing an “ambitious” text for the Shareholder Rights Directive was a priority.European parliamentarians recently voted on an amended draft of the directive, which proposed the introduction of CBCR, currently only mandated for banks and extractive industries.But they watered down a pledge for a binding vote on pay by leaving it to individual member states to decide if shareholders should be granted one.
The Port of Maputo said in its latest release that the volume handled by the port in 2017 has grown 22%, adding that this result was positively affected by the dredging of the access channel, completed in January 2017. Before dredging, with the channel at -11 meters chart datum, the maximum sailing draft of the vessels in Maputo and Matola was, on average, 12.20 meters and the maximum parcel size varied between 50,000 and 55,000 tonnes.“The dredging resulted in an increase of 40% to the average parcel size for Maputo Main Port and a 55% increase for Matola,” said the Maputo Port CEO, Osório Lucas. In July 2017, the Matola Coal Terminal (TCM) inaugurated the rehabilitation of its berth, which included deepening to -15.4 meters below chart datum along the quayside.TCM has become the port’s first terminal to take full advantage of the dredging initiative, allowing fully-ladden Panamax vessels of up to 275 meters long, 14.5 meters of draft on neap tides and 15.5 meters on spring tides.In 2017, the DP World Maputo Container Terminal also began its expansion works from 150.000 TEU’s to 250.000 TEU’s, scheduled for completion in the following weeks.The works included the expansion for two rail sidings of 375 meters each in length. The second phase of expansion contemplates the increase to 450.000 TEU’s, dependent on market demand.Maputo is also now preparing to receive vessels of even greater drafts, with the rehabilitation of berths 6, 7, 8 and 9 (a total of 1058 meters of berth) which will begin in the second quarter of 2018.[mappress mapid=”24822″]
Florida currently has 390 cases of COVID-19, with about half of those in South Florida. Palm Beach County currently has 29 confirmed cases. Two cases of coronavirus were confirmed Thursday afternoon in the Town of Palm Beach.According to Town Manager Kirk Blouin, one of the residents was taken by paramedics and tested positive, while the other person is the daughter of a town resident who public safety personnel encountered on a call. It is unclear whether she is a resident of the island.
In this Oct. 20, 2013, file photo, United States goalkeeper Hope Solo pauses on the field during the second half of an international friendly women’s soccer match against Australia in San Antonio.(AP Photo/Darren Abate, File)SEATTLE (AP) — U.S. women’s soccer star goalkeeper Hope Solo was arrested at a suburban Seattle home on suspicion of assaulting her sister and 17-year-old nephew, but her attorney insisted that Solo herself was a victim in the altercation.“Hope is not guilty of any crime,” attorney Todd Maybrown said in an email to The Associated Press Saturday. “In fact, our investigation reveals that Hope was assaulted and injured during this unfortunate incident. We look forward to the opportunity to present the true facts in court and to having this matter behind Hope very soon.”Officers responded to her sister’s home just before 1 a.m. Saturday after receiving a 911 call that a woman at the Kirkland residence was hitting people and that she refused to stop or leave, the Kirkland Police Department said in a news release.They found Solo intoxicated and upset, saw injuries on her nephew and her sister, and arrested her after speaking with those present and determining that she was the primary aggressor, the release said.She was booked into jail for investigation of two counts of fourth-degree domestic violence assault, and she was expected to remain in custody until an appearance Monday at Kirkland Municipal Court.A telephone number listed for her was not accepting incoming calls Saturday, and the voice mail for a listing at the sister’s home was full.The sister was not identified by police, but in her memoir, Solo writes that she has a half sister named Terry.Solo, 32, has won two Olympic gold medals for the U.S. women’s national team. She also plays with the Seattle Reign of the National Women’s Soccer League.“We are aware of the situation with Hope and are now gathering information,” the Reign posted on the team’s Twitter feed.In 2012, she married former Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens. He was arrested just before their wedding for investigation of assault after a disturbance involving her, but he was not charged. Maybrown represented Stevens in that case.Solo said soon afterward that there never was an assault and that she and her new husband were happy.“It’s unfortunate what the media can do to judge before the facts are out there. It’s hard to see, but it’s a hard truth, and it’s part of life,” she said then. “I’m happy. I’m happily married. I would never stand for domestic violence. I’ve never been hit in my life.”In her last appearance for the U.S., Solo recorded her 71st career shutout, a 1-0 victory over France on June 14 in Tampa, Florida. She sat out the team’s game against France on Thursday night in Connecticut.___Follow Johnson at https://twitter.com/GeneAPseattle