“Disappointment for students that when they left, for us it was March 11th, having no idea when they left it would be the last time setting foot in a school building,” VanFossen said. Even though preparations had been made in case of the closure, for Harpursville Central Schools Superintendent Michael Rullo, the reality was something he wasn’t ready for. While expected, the decision still left Maine-Endwell superintendent Jason VanFossen empathizing with his senior class. Binghamton Central School District sent 12 News a statement about the declaration: Dear Binghamton Families,Today, Governor Andrew Cuomo made the decision to close schools for the remainder of the academic year. While this decision was not unexpected, it is devastating knowing that our students won’t return to school this year. However, there is no greater priority than the safety and health of our school community. We are currently awaiting the executive order associated with the announcement so that we can determine the official last day of remote instruction. We will communicate that information to families as soon as possible. Distance learning in the Binghamton City School District is growing stronger every day, and we will continue to persevere through the coming weeks with positivity and resilience. I’m proud of our faculty and staff’s ongoing work to make the virtual education experience as enriched and meaningful as possible. I’m equally proud of the way our students have been striving to stay engaged, and of our families’ efforts to help their children succeed. Please continue to applaudyour child’s hard work, while also motivating and challenging them to build on their existing skills and knowledge. All events scheduled to take place at school facilities are cancelled for the remainder of the school year. Details of Binghamton High School’s prom and graduation are still to be determined. We understand that, for seniors and their families, this is not the ending to their high school careers that they had imagined or hoped for. We share their disappointment. We are committed to doing everything we can to celebrate our seniors, and give them the best possible send off as they embark on their bright futures. We remain dedicated to providing the highest level of education and support, and staying closelyconnected to our students and families while we are physically apart. For now, we will miss them terribly, and love them from a distance. We look forward to a joyous reunion, and having our students back in our schools, where they belong.With Patriot Pride,Dr. Tonia ThompsonSuperintendent of Schools (WBNG) — Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that all schools in New York will be closed for the rest of the academic year on Friday. “Certainly we weren’t surprised to hear the governor’s announcement today that schools would be closed for the remainder of the year,” Andrews said Friday. Governor Cuomo said while schools will be closed for the remainder of the academic year, distance learning will continue. He also said the decision for summer school will be announced at the end of May. Superintendent of the Windsor Central School District Dr. Jason Andrews told 12 News the announcement came as no surprise. “The finality of that decision really hit home with me personally, and I think with all my colleagues too,” Rullo said. “I’m just sad.”
“It’s crafted basically on top of a really cold counter,” he says “I spread it out and I mix in things people want and then I hand roll it I think people really enjoy it they find it really satisfying.” “I sell rolled Ice Cream which is kind of like a delicate Ice Cream — kind of a fashionable thing,” he says. While VIBES is new to Downtown Binghamton this summer, Holmberg says the whole concept of rolled ice cream is new to many of his customers as well. He also says he opened the business hoping to attract a demographic he says doesn’t have much reason to come downtown these days — the kiddos. “Not just kids that are at school but young kids. They don’t really come downtown for the bars or the restaurants unless they are accompanied by their parents but this is something that is really sought after they really want ice cream.” BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — If you’ve taken a stroll down Court St., you may have noticed an Ice Cream cart set up at the corner of Court and Washington St. Owner Jonathan Holmberg says this isn’t just any old ice cream stand. He says while starting a business during the COVID-19 crisis has been difficult, he’s hoping to aleiviate what he calls an ice cream shortage in Downtown Binghamton. While he says the process originated in Thailand, here in Binghamton it’s something unique. Holmberg says while the cart has been successful, he hopes to eventually open a brick and mortar store downtown. “It’s a little bit of a different consistency and taste and I make it myself, so I kind of have the capacity to do whatever I want with it,” he says. “I think it’s astounding that there’s a lack of this stuff downtown for however many years it’s been now,” he says.