March 8, 2017 Find out more Outspoken columnist threatened, his car torched North MacedoniaEurope – Central Asia April 22, 2015 Find out more RSF_en October 23, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 RWB calls for investigative journalist’s immediate release Sinister threat to Macedonian journalist and his family Help by sharing this information May 29, 2015 Find out more to go further Organisation Receive email alerts Journalists repeatedly attacked in Macedonian political crisis News News Reporters Without Borders, Network for reporting on Eastern Europe (n-ost) and Civil-Centre for Freedom (a Macedonian human rights NGO) call for Macedonian journalist Tomislav Kezarovski’s immediate release and the quashing of his conviction on a spurious charge of revealing a protected witness’s identity.Sentenced to four and a half years in prison in October 2013, Kezarovski spent several months in prison last year before being transferred to house arrest. The outcome of his appeal hearing, scheduled for tomorrow, could result in his being returned to prison.“We call on the authorities to free Kezarovski and overturn this absurd conviction,” said Christian Mihr, the director of Reporters Without Borders Germany, who went to Skopje last weekend. “Kezarovski made only one mistake, criticizing the Macedonian authorities, and we see nothing wrong in that. On the contrary, we nominated him for the 2014 Reporters Without Borders Prize for his courageous work. The protection of investigative journalists should be a condition for Macedonia’s joining the European Union.”Civil-Centre for Freedom director Xhabir Deralla added: “Journalists in Macedonia need security and laws that protect their work instead of obstructing it.”In 2008, Kezarovski wrote an article about a murder case for the Reporter 92 newspaper in which he quoted from an internal police report that had been leaked to him. Five years later, in May 2013, he was suddenly arrested on the grounds that he revealed the identity of a protected witness.However, the witness had not yet been given protection at the time the article was written and anyway admitted in 2013 having given a false statement under pressure from the police. Kezarovski believes the real reason for his arrest was to make him reveal the identity of the person who leaked him the police report.An interim European Union report on Macedonia published this month criticizes the media situation there, including the misuse of its defamation laws and the fact that state institutions place almost no advertising in independent news media.In recent years, media freedom has declined dramatically in Macedonia, whose ranking in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index has fallen from 34th in 2009 to 123rd now. News North MacedoniaEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on North Macedonia News
South Africa-based Mohammed Awal believes he is ready to fill in as a reliable defender for his injured colleague John Boye for the Black Stars crucial World Cup playoff against Egypt.Ghana’s defence stands depleted going into the crunch first leg match of the playoff tie against the record African Cup winners on 15 October in Kumasi.Head coach Kwesi Appiah must manage without three key central defenders against the Pharaohs.Isaac Vorsah has been sidelined by a long term knee injury while John Boye is also out as he prepares for surgery on a troublesome pubic injury.Jonathan Mensah has also had to withdraw from the October 15 clash due to a thigh injury while in action for his French club Evian TG.This means Ghana will present a new set of defenders in the expected high-tension game in Kumasi. But Awal who plays for South African club Maritzburg United says he is ready to become a successful back up plan for Appiah.“I am always waiting for the opportunity to play so if I am given the opportunity I will display myself for Ghanaians to see,” he said.“If someone is not there, somebody else can come and play and I believe I am ready to help the nation.”Awal will be competing with Rashid Sumaila, Jerry Akaminko and Edwin Gyimah for a place in Ghana’s defence against Egypt on October 15.Ghana want to record a resounding victory over Egypt to reduce the return encounter a month later to a mere formality.