Facebook Twitter Chuck ConnerFarmer-owned co-ops are a foundation of the local farm economy. Chuck Conner, with the National Council of Farmer Co-ops, says these organizations provide benefits to all of rural American today by creating jobs and economic activity, “Co-ops today generate about $250 billion in sales and provide over 250,000 jobs.” In Indiana, he said 5,000 people are directly employed by farm co-ops. Previous articlePreventing DoomsdayNext articleIndiana Wine and Food Festival Returns Saturday Gary Truitt SHARE While there have been some lean times, Conner says most farm co-ops are very strong financially, “Co-ops are doing business in large quantities to meet the demands of their farmer customers and returning record dividends to their members.” He added that the basic goal of co-ops — to serve and bring value to their farmer customers and members — has not changed, “That is what we are still all about, serving farmers.” SHARE Farmer co-ops began as a way to provide inputs to their members at lower costs. Today, they operate in a global market but still maintain that function of providing inputs to their farmer members. “Now many of those inputs come from around the world,” Conner told HAT. “Fertilizer, for example, is delivered to farmers in the US from all over the world.” He added that co-ops help farmers do together what they could not accomplish on their own. Home News Feed It’s the Year of The Co-Op The Year of the Farmer Co-op will showcase how America’s farmer-owned businesses enable their producer-members to thrive in a global marketplace; how they create jobs and economic growth across rural America; and how they provide consumers with a safe, abundant, and affordable supply of food and fiber. As our part of IYC, the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives is celebrating 2012 as the Year of the Farmer Co-op. Over the course of the year, NCFC and our members will highlight the role that farmer-owned co-ops play in giving family farmers across the country an ownership stake in the food and agriculture system from the farm gate all the way to grocery store shelves. Facebook Twitter It’s the Year of The Co-Op By Gary Truitt – May 28, 2012
By Dialogo August 13, 2012 Mexico’s victory over Brazil ended what had been a history of frustration at the Olympics. In its nine previous appearances – Amsterdam in 1928, London 1948, Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, Munich 1972, Montreal 1976, Barcelona 1992, Atlanta 1996 and Athens 2004 – the team advanced out of pool play three times, reaching the semifinals in 1968 and the quarterfinals in 1972 and 1996. Meantime, Brazil was denied it first gold at the Olympics – the only major international tournament it hasn’t won. The five-time World Cup champions pulled within a goal in the 91st minute on a blast from striker Hulk, but couldn’t get another quality shot on frame before the end of stoppage time. The Seleção now has three silvers and two bronzes after falling just short of the golden prize. “We all know that we need to win the gold,” Brazil’s coach Mano Menezes told reporters. “Brazil has to win every tournament it plays, it needs to win every match it plays, even if it’s a friendly – and this time even more because it’s something the nation has never won before.’’ In women’s volleyball, it was another Olympics, another upset in the gold medal match for the Brazilian women. The South Americans stunned the top-seeded United States in the final for the second consecutive Summer Games with a 3-1 victory. The Americans appeared to be on their way to an easy win after taking the first set 25-11, but Brazil rallied to claim the next three sets 25-17, 25-20 and 25-17. Overall, the Brazilians have reached the semifinals of the event in six straight Olympics dating to Barcelona in 1992. Over that span, the team has claimed two gold medals and two bronzes. “We felt we lost control in the first set, but we never lost sight of our objectives, and that was to win gold,” Brazil’s Jaqueline Carvalho told reporters. “We knew the U.S. is a great team, that the game would be tough. But we managed to turn it around.’” Brazil also became the third team to repeat as gold medalists. The Soviet Union won in 1968 and 1972 and Cuba won three straight starting in 1992. Meantime, Brazil’s men’s volleyball team medaled for the sixth time in eight Olympics, but it wasn’t the color they were hoping. The top-seeded South Americans fell to Russia in the gold medal match 3-2 after holding a two-sets-to-none lead. Brazil, which earned the distinction of becoming the first team to ever blow a 2-0 lead in a final, dropped the last three games 29-27, 25-22 and 15-9. Wallace de Souza finished with 27 points for Brazil, which settled for a silver medal for the second straight Summer Games after losing the final to the United States at the 2008 Beijing Games. “It’s hard to tell,” de Souza told reporters when asked what happened. “You train a lot for that every day, you don’t believe something like that could happen. You’re winning 2-0 and then you start feeling the pressure. We came here to get the gold, but we got the silver.’” LONDON – It’s Brazil’s turn now. As the Games of the XXX Olympiad concluded on Aug. 12, the international sporting world turned its eyes toward Brazil, which will become home to three of the biggest competitions in the next four years – the 2013 Confederations Cup, the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympics. But before the millions watched the closing ceremonies, Brazil and Mexico provided exclamation points to the London Games. Brazil’s women’s indoor volleyball team claimed gold and the country’s men’s team took silver. Mexico’s men’s soccer team capped a dominating run by winning its first Olympic gold with a 2-1 win over Brazil at historic Wembley Stadium. El Tri was paced by dynamic striker Oribe Peralta who scored both goals, including one in the first minute off of a takeaway in front of the Brazil 18-yard box. His second came on a header in the 75th minute to give his team a two-goal advantage, all but sealing the top spot on the medal podium. Mexico was able to routinely frustrate the Brazilian side by maintaining possession and force all pressure to the wings and into poor shooting angles. The result was a phenomenal defensive effort and the country’s first-ever medal in Olympic soccer. “We knew that the Brazilian players lose their heads really quickly when you keep the ball away from them,” Peralta told reporters. “That’s what we managed to do and, building from that basis, we were able to keep our shape and calmly play our football.”
UKGC hails ‘delivered efficiencies’ of its revamped licence maintenance service August 20, 2020 StumbleUpon UKGC launches fourth National Lottery licence competition August 28, 2020 Winning Post: Swedish regulator pushes back on ‘Storebror’ approach to deposit limits August 24, 2020 Submit Related Articles Share Share An article published in the Times on Sunday 8 October accusing online betting operators of using cartoons to ‘lure kids to online gambling’, has caused the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC) to reaffirm its stance on protecting children from betting-related harm.The article claimed that gambling operators utilised flaws in the guidelines enforced by the UKGC and promoted games that appeal specifically to children. The article, which also expressed concerns that many of the games don’t require age-verification from players, evoked Tim Miller, executive director, corporate affairs and research for the UKGC, to write an open letter to the newspaper expressing that the regulatory body is “committed to using our powers and our expertise to play our part in creating a safer internet”.He went on to say: “Parents will understandably be concerned to read about the risks of children being exposed to gambling online.“Protecting children from being harmed or exploited by gambling is a clear priority for the Gambling Commission.“Our rules require strong age verification checks to prevent underage gambling; where businesses fail to protect vulnerable people, especially children, we have and will continue to take firm action.“Our current powers to regulate online gambling have been in effect for just a couple of years; however, the online world is fast moving meaning we constantly monitor the approach we take.“Earlier this year, we announced that we had commenced a wide ranging review of online gambling.“At the same time our expert advisers, the Responsible Gambling Strategy Board, are examining the wider relationship between children and gambling.“Together these will give a clear picture of where further action may be necessary.“New technology brings both opportunities but also new risks; earlier this year we successfully prosecuted two YouTube users who were exploiting the FIFA computer game to provide illegal gambling which was accessible to children – the first regulator in the world to bring such action.“This clash between the world of computer games and the world of gambling is just one example of the need for continuous vigilance when keeping children safe online.”
And after Opelka held his nerve on serve to edge into a 7-6 lead, the 21-year-old made the most of three match points when Wawrinka sent a weak forehand into the net.Wawrinka joins the likes of Alexander Zverev, Stefanos Tsitsipas and French Open finalist Dominic Thiem in slumping out in the opening rounds.Opelka, meanwhile, will face Robin Haase or Milos Raonic in his next match. But Opelka rallied to clinch a 7-5, 3-6, 4-6, 6-4, 8-6 victory in three hours and 13 minutes.Marathon [email protected] reaches the third round of a Grand Slam for the first time on his #Wimbledon debut after an epic five-set duel against Stan Wawrinka#Wimbledon pic.twitter.com/hiByieuxBd— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) July 3, 2019World No. 19 Wawrinka started Wednesday’s encounter on No. 2 Court in sluggish fashion, with the American breaking serve in the 11th game. Related News Wimbledon 2019: Andy Murray relishes Serena Williams doubles pairing Stan Wawrinka became the latest big name to suffer an early exit from Wimbledon as he went down to U.S. up-and-comer Reilly Opelka in the second round Wednesday.Wawrinka, who has never won Wimbledon and has now failed to reach the third round for four straight years, looked on course for a routine win after fighting back from losing the first set. Wimbledon 2019: Sam Querrey wipes out No. 5 seed Dominic Thiem Opelka could not keep up his form in the next two sets, however, but the 2015 Wimbledon boys’ champion broke the Swiss star — seeded at 22 — again to force a fifth set.
MASON CITY — The City Council in Mason City last night approved setting the hearing date for funding the “Small Business Recovery & Continuity Fund” set up by the North Iowa Corridor Economic Development Corporation. If approved in two weeks, the city would contribute $300,000 to the fund, which would help small, independently-owned businesses with less than 25 employees that are suffering during the public health emergency with grants of up to $5000. City Administrator Aaron Burnett says the need by businesses for help will outweigh the money available in the fund. “There’s been a huge outcry of how do we help small businesses, and I think there’s been a lot of effort to do that through take-out, through purchasing, through curbside pickup, all of those things which have been fantastic. This is really a way to help those businesses that are most vulnerable, those mom-and-pop shops, those places of five employees. This is really one of those places where we can get a direct cash infusion to help them cover those fixed costs and stay through what is an unprecedented time for those small businesses.” Burnett says he’s encouraging people to donate to the fund. “We’ll put this out as many times as we can to encourage people to donate, to encourage businesses to donate. If you have an ability to do so, reach out to the Corridor and put your dollars with those public dollars and the Corridor dollars to save those businesses. The process will be thorough to make sure we’re meeting the highest needs with the dollars that are put out there.” The council approves setting the public hearing for their April 21st meeting.