Jennifer Simard-Led Who’s Holiday Cancels Off-B’way Run

first_img Jennifer Simard Looks like the Grinch disapproves of stealing. The world premiere of Who’s Holiday, which was to be headlined by Tony nominee Jennifer Simard, has postponed performances. A production spokesperson said it was: “due to a sudden rights issue that needs to be clarified before continuing.” Directed by Carl Andress, Matthew Lombardo’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas! parody had been set to play a holiday engagement at New World Stages from November 2.The show follows a middle-aged Cindy Lou Who as she prepares for a Christmas Eve party in her trailer on Mount Crumpit. Through a series of couplets, she charts the events of the past 40 years following her fateful first meeting with the Grinch.Simard will now next be seen in Broadway’s Hello, Dolly! this spring.Broadway.com customers with tickets to canceled performances will be contacted with information on refunds or exchanges. View Comments Star Files Jennifer Simard(Photo: Emilio Madrid-Kuser)last_img read more

Mourinho hails Fabregas display

first_img After three years in Barcelona, Fabregas returned to the Barclays Premier League on Monday night – and he instantly looked at home in Mourinho’s side, who looked very much like title contenders. The Spain midfielder set up Andre Schurrle with a perfectly-weighted pass and he also had a hand in each of Chelsea’s other two goals, scored by Diego Costa and Branislav Ivanovic. Costa was a constant menace to the Premier League newcomers all night and he got on the score sheet with a poacher’s effort from 12 yards. Fabregas then cushioned a perfect ball into the path of Schurrle to cap off a 25-pass move before Ivanovic met the Spaniard’s corner to make it 3-1 in the 34th minute. Mourinho was happy with how his team responded to Scott Arfield’s opening strike, and he found Chelsea’s second goal particularly pleasing. “Everything was fantastic, the movement and the quality of the pass and the vision and the understanding between them was beautiful,” the Portuguese said of Schurrle’s goal. “Emotionally we were not affected by the goal we conceded. “We conceded a goal, but we never lost composure and we deserved these three points against a side that is going to give a fight to everyone that comes here.” Mourinho’s only complaint was with the officials for booking Costa for simulation when his trailing leg was actually caught by Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton. “It was a penalty, but the linesman decided not to give it,” said Mourinho, who also handed Thibaut Courtois his debut and brought summer signing Didier Drogba off the bench in the second half. “The kid (Costa) presents himself here today with a fantastic, competitive, clean and polite attitude. “I hope he doesn’t get more unfair decisions.” Burnley manager Sean Dyche, who led the Clarets back into the top-flight last term, was not too disheartened by the defeat, which came in front of a noisy capacity crowd at Turf Moor. “Chelsea have quality in all areas,” the former Watford manager said. “We kept going, which is important. The will and demand is there. “We have a strong mentality. Ian Holloway said last year we had the strongest jaw in the division. “We know it is not a sprint, it is a marathon and it is going to be a tough marathon.” Dyche has brought in seven new players this summer, but he feels more additions are needed. He said: “We need to build a squad. It is not just a starting 11. We are carrying light numbers. We definitely need strength in depth.” Watching the £27million signing dictate a high tempo and put in tackle after tackle, it was hard to think why Arsenal, and Manchester United in particular, passed up the opportunity to sign the 27-year-old Catalan, who was given the man of the match award for his efforts. Afterwards Mourinho praised Fabregas for providing him with the creativity and drive that was sometimes missing from the Chelsea midfield last season. “I think the team played very well but I agree with Cesc being the man of the match because him and (Nemanja) Matic they controlled the game,” the Chelsea manager said. “Those two dictated the intensity of the game. They are both good brains in this team and I am happy with that because probably last season we couldn’t control the game the way we did today. “In the last 10 years, Cesc and I were in the same league for six or seven years so I know what he can bring to this team. “He makes the right decisions, the right intensity of the game and he brings other people in the right direction. I am really happy with him.” Fabregas was one of four summer signings to feature in a new-look Chelsea team now shorn of the likes of Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard. Chelsea will come up against better opposition this term, but the way they started the season suggests this new and improved Blues team deserves its status as title favourites. Jose Mourinho hailed Cesc Fabregas after the midfielder enjoyed a stunning debut in Chelsea’s 3-1 win over Burnley. Press Associationlast_img read more

Ronaldo Awaits Ballon d’Or Coronation

first_imgCome 8 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Monday, what looks to be a poorly kept secret will officially be out – Cristiano Ronaldo will bag his fourth Ballon d’Or as the world’s top footballer.The Real Madrid and Portugal star won the Champions League for the second time in three seasons and third time overall after one title with Manchester United in 2008.He then led Portugal to their first major title at Euro 2016 – albeit he went off early through injury in the win over France. As has been the case for almost a decade now, the 31-year-old’s main rival will be Lionel Messi of Barcelona – but the Argentine maestro has had by his own exalted standards a less than stellar year both for club and country with the top prizes eluding him on both fronts.Ronaldo was spotted midweek in training having dyed his hair gold in advance and for his club coach, there can only be one man for the crown this year.“For me there is no debate. The Ballon will be for him,” Zinedine Zidane said after his talisman’s hattrick saw off Atletico Madrid last month to underpin their domination in La Liga.“He showed it last season and he shows it again and again. We expect a lot of him but he stands above everyone.”Despite such effusive praise, Ronaldo, rested at the weekend ahead of the Club World Cup in Japan, has had some negative headlines – not least pertaining to accusations of tax evasion.Denying any wrongdoing, he responded by publishing his financial records on Thursday – showing last year he earned a bumper 227.2 million euros ($240 million).“You believe I am worried? He who owes nothing, fears nothing,” Ronaldo told broadcaster RTP.An international consortium of media organisations has claimed the superstar hid 150 million euros from image rights in the British Virgin Islands.This year marks the end of six years of joint awards by founders France Football and FIFA, which will revert to bestowing a “Best” accolade of its own on January 9 to both male and female players.The Ballon d’Or will henceforth be decided by a vote of 173 journalists while national team captains and managers will no longer have a say.Argentina and Barcelona star Messi landed a record fifth crown last year.A win will lift Ronaldo to within one award of Messi’s record haul of five.Ronaldo first won the award in 2008 after Premier League and Champions League triumphs with Manchester United.But it was only in 2013 he added his second and he made it a hat-trick the following year.The first Ballon d’Or was won by Stanley Matthews, at the time with Blackpool, who beat Alfredo Di Stefano for the inaugural title in 1956.Up to 1994 only European players were eligible.The first non-European to win it was the following year, AC Milan’s Liberian star George Weah.From 2007 it honoured the world’s best player, with FIFA under former President Sepp Blatter entering into a deal with France Football in 2010 to merge the Ballon d’Or with FIFA’s best world player honour.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more