Odinga Haywood of Drysdale Street, Georgetown was on Friday further remanded to prison by Georgetown Magistrate Leron Daly when he reappeared before her on three counts of armed robbery.The 20-year-old has denied that on February 21, 2018 at Waterloo Street, Georgetown, while being armed with a knife, he robbed Trevor Singh of a Samsung Galaxy cellular phone valued $60,440.He had also denied that on that same day at Lamaha Street, Georgetown, while being armed with a knife, he robbed Ibrahim Takur of a Samsung Galaxy cellular phone valued $70,000.He further denied that on the same occasion, armed with a knife, he robbed Mohamed Takur of an iPhone and headset valued $122,000.Attorney George Thomas, appearing for the accused, said his client would be willing to lodge his travel documents and comply with any bail conditions, once released.However, the Prosecutor objected to the defendant being placed on bail, stating that a weapon was used to commit the crimes, and the defendant had admitted to the offences after he was arrested.The case will continue on September 21.
Arsenal new boy Olivier Giroud has claimed that he turned down a move to Chelsea in order to sign for the Gunners.The France international, 25, completed a transfer to the Emirates Stadium from Montpellier this week.“The choice was between Chelsea and Arsenal. I chose Arsenal because of the club’s philosophy and stability,” he told French television channel TF1.“It is something that means a lot for me. I’ve always dreamed of playing in the Premier League and Arsenal are a great club with many French players.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
2 October 2012 After years of waiting, residents of Elliot Dale in the Eastern Cape have finally received new houses to replace the mud structures they used to call home. Two hundred houses were recently handed over, in the first phase of the a multi-million rand Elliot Dale Rural Sustainable Human Settlements Project, to beneficiaries who qualify for the government housing subsidy grant, falling in the R3 500 to R7 500 income bracket. While phase one saw the construction of 200 units, phase two will result in another 800. At the end of the project, 7 000 new homes will have been built, along with new sanitation, a sports field and a community centre. Eastern Cape Human Settlements MEC Helen Sauls-August, who handed over the houses, said it marked an important era in the rural development agenda for Elliot Dale, Mbhashe and the broader Eastern Cape. “This handover will clearly contribute to an improved household life and a complete human settlements project with a sport field and a community centre for this village. This is one of the few projects to have such amenities in our province,” Sauls-August said. The MEC urged those involved in the project to work hard to ensure that people were not forced to wait any longer than they had to for the services they had a right to. The project had created 25 job opportunities for semi-skilled labourers, 22 for skilled labourers, 64 for youth, 68 for women and 90 for men. With 7 000 beneficiaries expected to have new houses by the time for project is complete, many more employment opportunities are expected to come the way of local people. In July 2011, the Cabinet had identified the 21 poorest district municipalities throughout the country, and the Amathole District – under which Elliot Dale and the Mbashe Local Municipality fell – was among these. A number of projects were being implemented in the area. These included household water connection across the Mbashe Local Municipality, including Elliot Dale; a housing project in Elliot Dale and the completion of 25 household gardens. In addition, 50 hectares of arable land had been cultivated, and the Eastern Cape Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform was supporting the Elliot Dale community with agricultural inputs, with 10 km of fencing of arable lands having been completed and 15 cooperatives having been registered. Source: SANews.gov.za
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto on June 7. Shares in the U.S. company will no longer be traded on the New York Stock Exchange, with Bayer now the sole owner of Monsanto Company. Monsanto shareholders are being paid $128 per share.J.P. Morgan assisted Bayer with processing the purchase price payment for the largest acquisition in the company’s history. According to the conditional approval from the United States Department of Justice, the integration of Monsanto into Bayer can take place as soon as the divestments to BASF have been completed. This integration process is expected to commence in approximately two months.“Today is a great day: for our customers — farmers around the world whom we will be able to help secure and improve their harvests even better; for our shareholders, because this transaction has the potential to create significant value; and for consumers and broader society, because we will be even better placed to help the world’s farmers grow more healthy and affordable food in a sustainable manner. As a leading innovation engine in agriculture, we offer employees around the world attractive jobs and development opportunities,” said Werner Baumann, Chairman of the Bayer Board of Management. “Our sustainability targets are as important to us as our financial targets. We aim to live up to the heightened responsibility that a leadership position in agriculture entails and to deepen our dialogue with society.”Liam Condon, member of the Bayer Board of Management, will lead the combined Crop Science Division when the integration commences. Until that time, Monsanto will operate independently from Bayer.“Today’s closing represents an important milestone toward the vision of creating a leading agricultural company, supporting growers in their efforts to be more productive and sustainable for the benefit of our planet and consumers,” said Hugh Grant, outgoing Chairman and CEO of Monsanto. “I am proud of the path we have paved as Monsanto and look forward to the combined company helping move modern agriculture forward.”
Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. It wasn’t the type of performance San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez wanted from his team especially at this point of the season, but the Red Lions once again figured out a way to pull through against a team with little to lose.The Red Lions ground out a 55-50 victory over the Perpetual Help Altas Tuesday to stay within the coattails of unbeaten Lyceum in NCAA Season 93 at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.ADVERTISEMENT Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:12San Beda, Lyceum early favorites ahead of NCAA Season 9302:11’Not just basketball’: Circumcisions, pageants at Philippine courts01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary But the win left Fernandez concerned with the Lions, who he felt did not play up to their standards.“Well, we’re happy we got this win, but we have to go back [to the gym] tomorrow (Wednesday) and maybe think of what our priorities are,” said Fernandez.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“We only had 11 assists, not San Beda basketball. Our defense really stepped up, but really, our offense is questionable. We just have to go back and review everything.”Robert Bolick finished with 15 points while Donald Tankoua added 14 points for the Lions, who only had seven players in the scoring column—a far cry from the balanced offense the team is known for. LATEST STORIES National U, Adamson start semis bids Nonetheless, the Lions raised their record to 14-1, a full game behind the Pirates. The Altas dropped out of the Final Four race with their 10th loss in 14 games.Later, Jose Rizal U firmed up its hold of third spot with a 90-77 drubbing of St. Benilde, which is already out of the running for a postseason berth.The Heavy Bombers shot 58 percent from the field, the highest in the league this season, as they rolled to a ninth victory against six defeats.The win puts JRU in pole position to reach the next round in what is shaping up to be a three team race for the two remaining Final Four berths.“This win gives us a good chance, but we still have to beat San Sebastian,” said JRU coach Vergel Meneses.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight View comments
Ausilio: Dybala would be Inter Milan player if we…by Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan chief Piero Ausilio says Paulo Dybala could have been a Nerazzurri player.Dybala has emerged as one of the most exciting attackers in the world at Juventus.And Ausilio recalled a meeting with former Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini: “A meeting was organised between the two presidents, Zamparini can confirm it, and I am convinced that if Inter on that occasion at the home of the president of Palermo had more desire and determination to spend more probably Dybala would be an Inter player.”The offer was honestly much lower than what Juventus did. The pair of (Mauro) Icardi-Dybala was intriguing to all.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Solskjaer delighted with Tuanzebe for Man Utd winby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveOle Gunnar Solskjaer was delighted with Axel Tuanzebe’s performance against Astana in the Europa League on Thursday.The 21-year-old played for United for the first time in nearly two years in the 1-0 victory.”Axel was very assured out there,” Solskjaer said. “He was in cruise control as well. Delighted for him.”It’s a few years since he played for us here at Old Trafford, and he played really well and just confirmed what we already thought we knew.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Tottenham due Lo Celso boost this weekby Paul Vegas3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham will receive a boost this week with the return of midfielder Giovanni Lo Celso.The Argentine, signed from Real Betis this past summer, has been out for two months with a hip injury.But manager Mauricio Pochettino confirmed on Monday that Lo Celso will be available for Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Red Star Belgrade.Spurs are yet to win collect a win from Group B so far this season. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
APTN National NewsWinnipeg police are trying a new technique to get policing closer to the community.Cadets are now walking the beat in downtown Winnipeg.APTN National News reporter Meagan Fiddler finds out what kind of impact they are making on the streets.
OSU Sophomore forward Jae’Sean Tate (1) dribbles the basketball during a game against the Michigan Wolverines on Feb. 16 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU won 76-66. Photo Credit: William Kosileski | Lantern Photographer Just about any coach appreciates the service of a star player, one who can strike fear in the opponent and take over a game at any given moment. It’s something that can be a huge asset in winning basketball games, especially against a conference rival.However, as the Ohio State men’s basketball team proved Tuesday night at the Schottenstein Center against Michigan, the one-man wrecking machine is not the only means to that end.Despite its leading scorers only putting up 13 points, OSU (17-10, 9-5) used double-digit scoring performances from five players to take care of Michigan (19-8, 9-5) 76-66 in the Big Ten matchup.“This was a great team win,” OSU coach Thad Matta said. “Guys made big plays when we needed them down the stretch. Some of the best teams I’ve had had like five guys averaging close to double figures.”Junior forward Marc Loving had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds while sophomore forward Jae’Sean Tate added 13 points of his own, as OSU shot 54 percent to Michigan’s 39 to grab just its second win this season against a team ranked in the top 50 of the RPI.“I thought Marc was really dialed in,” Matta said. “The biggest thing I liked tonight was the way he got rebounds. He was out of his area, getting boards.”In the first 12 minutes of the game, seven different OSU players scored, with only freshman point guard A.J. Harris and redshirt sophomore shooting guard Kam Williams connecting more than once. While the team knew it would need someone to pick up more of the scoring load at some point, it could not argue with the results, as it took a 21-16 lead into the under-eight-minute timeout.“We wanted to come out and prove to ourselves that we could play well from the beginning,” Loving said. “We got out to a great start, and it’s always a sense of pride beating the team up north.”The miniature takeover finally arrived for the Buckeyes in the waning minutes of the first half, in the form of Tate.The sophomore scored three inside shots in the final two minutes of the half, including an and-1 bucket with 14 seconds left to help OSU grab a 36-28 lead at the half.In addition to Tate’s nine points, OSU received a significant contribution from its bench, where it led Michigan in points 14-5 in the first half. That was led by Harris’ and Williams’ six points each.OSU shot 50 percent in the opening 20 minutes, including buckets from eight of the 10 players to see the court, while Michigan was held to 33 percent. The Wolverines were led by junior guard Zak Irvin’s six points and four rebounds. He shot just 1-of-6 in the opening 20 minutes, though.Sometimes when one team shoots very hot in one half and the other can’t buy a bucket, the extended rest from halftime and the change in hoops to defend, turns that trend around completely.That was not the case as the teams geared up for the second half on Tuesday.The first-half percentages held the same in the early minutes, with OSU making three of its first six shots and Michigan making two of six. That enabled the Buckeyes to take a 10-point lead and forced the Wolverines into a quick timeout.A 7-0 run by the Wolverines to cut OSU’s lead to seven points briefly quieted the Schottenstein Center crowd of 17,088, but a 3-pointer on the other end by Loving followed by a Michigan travel quickly reset the tone of the game in the home team’s favor.“My teammates and coaches encouraged me to keep shooting,” Loving said. “They have a lot of confidence in me, so I feel like I should have a lot of confidence in myself.”And that is how the second half continued to go, with Michigan simply unable to sustain the offense needed to stick around, while OSU received solid contributions across the board.“Our mindset was totally different, our togetherness, and it showed,” Tate said. “We stayed with it, we actually grew up today, we showed we can keep a lead.”Redshirt sophomore center Trevor Thompson was the star of the second half for the Buckeyes, scoring 10 second-half points, including a pair of alley-oop finishes. Much like the first half, he was one of seven Buckeyes to score. “I think it’s difficult to guard us because we have that team that can — any given night, a guy can give you 20,” Tate said. “So I think it’s hard for another team to guard us. Nights like this, I think everybody’s happy.”Junior forward Mark Donnal ended up being Michigan’s top scorer, finishing with 17 points on 6-of-10 shooting.A major deficiency that the Scarlet and Gray cleaned up on Tuesday was free-throw shooting. Coming into the game shooting just 65.7 percent from the line as a team, OSU was 16-of-23 (73.9 percent) against the Wolverines.Senior guard Caris LeVert, one of the top players for the Wolverines, was unable to play on Tuesday with a leg injury. He indicated he would be good to go the day before the game after returning from the injury in the game prior, but the game-time decision by Michigan coach John Beilein was to hold him out.At halftime, former OSU guard Evan Turner had a video package played on the jumbotron before his No. 21 was unveiled in the Schottenstein Center rafters. Turner, with tears gathering in his eyes, addressed the crowd with a speech. He gave credit to several of his OSU teammates and coaches, as well as his family, for getting him where he did.“I really do appreciate every nice thing my teammates did for me and the Ohio State University did for me, it really doesn’t go unnoticed,” Turner said.The 2009-10 national player of the year sat courtside with current Boston Celtics teammate and fellow OSU alumnus Jared Sullinger. Other players who played with Turner at OSU, including Greg Oden, Dallas Lauderdale and Mark Titus attended the game, while William Buford, Jon Diebler and Matta prepared video statements.The Buckeyes’ next contest is set to come on the road in Lincoln, Nebraska, on Saturday to duel with the Cornhuskers. Tipoff against Nebraska is scheduled for 7 p.m.