“This is where we can take action and that is why we have,” Ardern said in a news conference announcing the decision.”We acknowledge New Zealanders who are reliant on wage subsides, taking a pay cut, and losing their jobs as a result of the global pandemic,” she added.New Zealand on Wednesday recorded 20 new cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, bringing the total number of cases to 1,386. It has recorded nine deaths so far.The government is expected to decide next week whether it will extend its current “Level 4″ shutdown. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, ministers in her government and public service chief executives will take a 20% pay cut for the next six months amid the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.New Zealand’s offices, schools and non-essential services have been closed for the last three weeks, and economic activity is at a standstill as the country undertakes one of the strictest lockdowns globally.The government has forecast joblessness to surge because of the global and domestic slowdown. In a speech to New Zealand’s business community earlier in the day, the finance minister said that if the government decided to ease restrictions, the emphasis would be to permit economic activity that is safe.Grant Robertson also said the annual budget, to be announced on May 14, would focus on recovery.”It will include funding for the cost pressures that are necessary part of keeping our country ticking over. But we will devote much of our resources to kick starting this recovery,” Robertson said in his speech streamed to business leaders. Topics :
Standings:1. Belgium 25 points2. Greece 16 points3. Bosnia and Herzegovina 14 points4. Estonia 11 points5. Cyprus 10 points6. Gibraltar 0 pointRelated2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Wrap (UEFA): France, Portugal Qualify; Netherlands Eliminated Despite WinOctober 11, 2017In “FIFA”Denmark, Ireland World Cup Playoff Clash In The Balance After StalemateNovember 12, 2017In “FIFA”2018 World Cup Qualifying Wrap (Europe): England, Germany Secure Final SpotsOctober 6, 2017In “Europe” Former World Cup winners France are on the brink of booking their place at next year’s tournament in Russia after they recorded a slim 1-0 win against Bulgaria in Group A.Blaise Matuidi scored the only goal of the game for the visitors as early as the third minute to hand the French team their 6th win in the qualifiers. They just need a win against lowly Belarus at home in their final qualifier to seal a spot at the World Cup.Still staying with the Group, three-time finalists Netherlands are in danger of missing out despite beating Belarus 3-1 away from home. The Oranje as they are fondly called are currently three points adrift of the playoff place and they next face Sweden, who occupy the playoff spot.The 1974, 1978 and 2010 World Cup finalists need to beat Sweden at home on Tuesday by at least 7 goals to have any chance of booking their place in Russia 2018 via the playoffs.In Group B, Switzerland only need a draw in their final qualifier against hosts Portugal on Tuesday to book their ticket after a dominant 5-2 win over Hungary with Arsenal star Granit Xhaka getting one of the goals for the home side.On the other hand, Portugal will need to beat Switzerland in the aforementioned game to qualify for Russia 2018 automatically and condemn the Swiss to the playoffs. Superstar forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Andre Silva scored for the European Champions in a 2-0 win at Andorra to put them in that position.Group A:Sweden 8-0 LuxembourgBulgaria 0-1 FranceBelarus 1-3 NetherlandsStandings:1. France 20 points2. Sweden 19 points3. Netherlands 16 points4. Bulgaria 12 points5. Belarus 5 points6. Luxembourg 5 pointsGroup B:Switzerland 5-2 HungaryFaroe Islands 0-0 LatviaAndorra 0-2 PortugalStandings:1. Switzerland 27 points2. Portugal 24 points3. Hungary 10 points4. Faroe Islands 9 points5. Andorra 4 points6. Latvia 4 pointsGroup H:Bosnia and Herzegovina 3-4 BelgiumCyprus 1-2 GreeceGibraltar 0-6 Estonia
A total of 3,300 In-Patient and Day Case surgical procedures have been cancelled by authorities at Letterkenny University Hospital since 2014.Sinn Féin Finance Spokesperson Deputy Pearse Doherty has condemned the HSE figures.Describing the numbers as ‘totally unacceptable’, the Donegal T.D. is now calling on the Minister for Health to outline what steps will be taken to reduce the problem of hospital cancellations and to ensure that patients here are not being denied access to treatments. He fumed “Prior to the Dáil Summer recess I raised the issue of surgical procedure cancellations with the Minister for Health and I challenged him to provide information on the number of surgeries which have been forced to be cancelled over the last few years.“I’ve now received those statistics from the HSE and the figures do not make for pleasant reading.“They reveal that between 2014 and August this year, there have been 425 In-Patient admissions cancelled by Letterkenny hospital while – during the same period – management at the hospital have had to cancel a further 2,875 Day-Patient surgeries.“This means that over the past five and half years, the hospital has cancelled a total of 3,300 surgical procedures for its patients – that is totally unacceptable and wrong.” The Donegal politician said he understood operations may have to be cancelled for any number of reasons however these figures highlight the sensitivity of the system.He added “Insufficient capacity, hospital outbreaks, staffing shortages, etc., all impact on surgery scheduling and if one link in the chain is missing then the whole system effectively collapses.“Worryingly however is that behind every one of those stats is an individual: a patient who is in need of care yet is being denied access to timely treatment.“Similarly, the hospital continues to experience significant challenges with delayed discharges, something which is being exacerbated by the ongoing shortage of Home Help hours.“As a result, patients who have been deemed to be medically fit to be discharged from the hospital have nowhere to go and must remain in the acute setting while they wait on home care supports to be made available.” All of these different factors are having a negative impact on the space available for elective procedures and this is why we are seeing such a huge number of operations being cancelled or rescheduled by the hospital, he added.“Evidently through not having properly resourced health services such as In-Home Support packages, as well as overseeing a recruitment embargo across the health system, the Government and the Minister have created this situation.“Regrettably, patients are suffering as a result of Government inaction and ineptitude and moreover they are being denied access to timely care.“As the Dáil is set to resume in the coming weeks, I intend to ask Minister Harris what measures he now plans to take to address these challenges facing the hospital and to seriously tackle the problem of patients having surgical procedures cruelly cancelled through no fault of their own.” More than 3,000 surgeries cancelled by Letterkenny Hospital since 2014 was last modified: August 29th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:cancelleddonegalhospitalOperationsPearse Dohertysurgeries
Brentford’s B team beat QPR’s development side 3-0 on Wednesday afternoon.All the goals came in the first half at the Bees’ Osterley training ground, where Manny Onariase, Herson Alves and Justin Shaibu found the net.Onariase blasted in the opener on 12 minutes after being found at the far post by Zain Westbrooke’s cross.Lukas Talbro crossed for Alves to score the second shortly before Chris Mepham set up Shaibu for the third.It meant another heavy defeat for Rangers, who were beaten 6-2, 4-1 and 6-1 in their previous three Under-23 matches. See also:QPR youngsters beat Crystal PalaceDon’t despair – QPR’s youth system is beginning to work againQPR youngsters lose to Sheffield UnitedThree consecutive heavy defeats for QPR youngstersCall-ups for QPR’s Wszolek and WashingtonFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Liverpool, Everton watching Club Brugge attacker Arnaut Danjumaby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveClub Brugge attacker Arnaut Danjuma Groeneveld is attracting major Premier League interest.Danjuma is on the radar of AC Milan, which Club Brugge have confirmed, though reports of a bid already tabled have been denied.The 21 year-old only moved to Belgium last summer from NEC Nijmegen, but his impact has attracted interest from across Europe.Along with Milan, Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton are also interested in Danjuma. He has scored five times and gave four assists in fifteen official matches for his new club.Manchester City were also keen on Danjuma before he left NEC in the summer for a cut-price €1m. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Sunday afternoon, the ACC issued an official statement on the end of Saturday’s Miami vs. Duke contest, which featured great controversy. The league has chosen to suspend the entire officiating crew two conference games after it was determined that four mistakes (two of which were crucial to the outcome) were made during the final play of the game. For those unaware, Miami returned a kickoff for the game-winning touchdown as time expired.Well, Miami, which benefited from the errors, has responded to the news on Twitter. Duke fans won’t like what they see.¯\_(ツ)_/¯— Miami Hurricanes (@MiamiHurricanes) November 1, 2015And this is the Hurricanes official Twitter account moments after that statement was released: https://t.co/nGJkhDK5wz— Josh Kendall (@JoshatTheState) November 1, 2015That, for those who don’t use social media often, is a “shrug” emoticon. It basically translates to “oh well.”It does not appear that the ACC is going to change the outcome of the game. It’s a tough break for Blue Devils fans.
Duke arrived in Anaheim yesterday in anticipation of the team’s Sweet 16 game against Oregon tomorrow night. Yesterday, the Blue Devils had a practice session, and then went back to the team hotel where they were greeted by packages of cool, new swag. Judging by this video, it looks like each player received a couple of gorgeous pairs of new shoes, as well as some gear. Not too shabby at all.Come for the new merchandise, stay for the “Still Not a Player” instrumental in the background of this video. Day 1 Recap in the Golden State.#MarchMadnesshttps://t.co/3wt1RvGOMP— Duke Basketball (@dukeblueplanet) March 23, 2016
OTTAWA – The federal government offered a temporary glimmer of hope Friday to employees suffering through serious pay issues as it moved ahead in talks with civil service unions toward a settlement for the “undue stress and hardships” caused by its troubled Phoenix pay system.Figures released by Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC), which oversees the beleaguered system, suggest a long-awaited reprieve from the ever-growing backlog of problems created since Phoenix was brought online just over two years ago.There were about 626,000 transactions awaiting processing at the government’s pay centre in Miramichi, N.B., as of Feb. 21, the department said on its web-based pay dashboard.But while that’s fewer than the peak of 633,000 problem pay files reached in January, the decline may be short-lived, PSPC warned.“This decrease is promising,” it said. “But with additional work left to do on overpayments and collective agreements, a continual decline is not expected until later this spring.”The latest backlog figures were released just days after Ottawa said it would no longer try to recover money overpaid to its employees until all of their outstanding pay issues have been resolved, and only if their paycheques were correct for at least three two-week pay periods.The government had blamed recent escalations in the backlog at least partly on a shift of pay centre employees to deal with changes brought about after the ratification of several civil service contracts, which required complex pay rate adjustments and calculations of retroactive back pay.More than half of all federal employees have experienced pay problems ranging from being underpaid or overpaid or not paid at all since Phoenix was brought online just over two years ago, the government said.Last month’s federal budget allocated $16 million over two years to the search for a Phoenix replacement, but that could be years away. In the meantime, federal employees continue to struggle with a pay system that has repeatedly failed.The budget also opened the door to compensating civil servants for what it called the “real mental and emotional stress” caused by Phoenix.Talks between the government and the unions that represent its workers over damages “have been advancing” since then, said the Public Service Alliance of Canada, although neither the unions nor Treasury Board Secretariat have revealed details of those discussions.“For two years, our members have lived in fear every pay day; they have had their lives turned upside down; and through it all they have continued to show up to work and deliver the services Canadians depend on,” said PSAC national president Robyn Benson.“An agreement on damages won’t solve everything, but it is an important part of making our members whole.”It is so far estimated that the total cost of the debacle, from the creation of Phoenix to dealing with its problems, will reach or exceed $1 billion by the end of this year. When it was first adopted, the previous Conservative government had predicted the system would save taxpayers $70 million annually.
Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Login/Register With: Facebook Advertisement When we covered the launch of the 41st annual Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) last week, one of the events within the announcement of this year’s Canadian film lineup was the introduction of TIFF’s Rising Stars. The reason, quite frankly, is we weren’t ready. We needed to research some of the actors, build pages, edit the photos taken at the event and all the rest. Today we’re ready. This year four actors were selected to participate in the 2016 TIFF Rising Stars programme: Jared Abrahamson, Grace Glowicki, Mylène Mackay and Sophie Nélisse. Now in its sixth year, the intensive professional development programme immerses participants in a series of public events and industry meetings during the Festival. They’ll be taking part in a series of specialized programs organized by TIFF’s Industry team that includes seminars with casting directors, media training, one-on-one meetings with filmmakers, as well as a series of unique networking opportunities. New this year, additional international Rising Stars will be announced in the coming weeks.Jared Abrahamson was born and raised in Flin Flon, Manitoba and currently resides in Vancouver. After a stint working in the mines and competing as a pro mixed martial arts fighter, he attended the Vancouver Film School. Abrahamson had a lead role in the Hallmark Hall of Fame film Finding a Family (2011) and parts in the ABC pilot The Manzanis. He will soon be seen in the TV drama Travelers (2017). Twitter