“Disappointment for students that when they left, for us it was March 11th, having no idea when they left it would be the last time setting foot in a school building,” VanFossen said. Even though preparations had been made in case of the closure, for Harpursville Central Schools Superintendent Michael Rullo, the reality was something he wasn’t ready for. While expected, the decision still left Maine-Endwell superintendent Jason VanFossen empathizing with his senior class. Binghamton Central School District sent 12 News a statement about the declaration: Dear Binghamton Families,Today, Governor Andrew Cuomo made the decision to close schools for the remainder of the academic year. While this decision was not unexpected, it is devastating knowing that our students won’t return to school this year. However, there is no greater priority than the safety and health of our school community. We are currently awaiting the executive order associated with the announcement so that we can determine the official last day of remote instruction. We will communicate that information to families as soon as possible. Distance learning in the Binghamton City School District is growing stronger every day, and we will continue to persevere through the coming weeks with positivity and resilience. I’m proud of our faculty and staff’s ongoing work to make the virtual education experience as enriched and meaningful as possible. I’m equally proud of the way our students have been striving to stay engaged, and of our families’ efforts to help their children succeed. Please continue to applaudyour child’s hard work, while also motivating and challenging them to build on their existing skills and knowledge. All events scheduled to take place at school facilities are cancelled for the remainder of the school year. Details of Binghamton High School’s prom and graduation are still to be determined. We understand that, for seniors and their families, this is not the ending to their high school careers that they had imagined or hoped for. We share their disappointment. We are committed to doing everything we can to celebrate our seniors, and give them the best possible send off as they embark on their bright futures. We remain dedicated to providing the highest level of education and support, and staying closelyconnected to our students and families while we are physically apart. For now, we will miss them terribly, and love them from a distance. We look forward to a joyous reunion, and having our students back in our schools, where they belong.With Patriot Pride,Dr. Tonia ThompsonSuperintendent of Schools (WBNG) — Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that all schools in New York will be closed for the rest of the academic year on Friday. “Certainly we weren’t surprised to hear the governor’s announcement today that schools would be closed for the remainder of the year,” Andrews said Friday. Governor Cuomo said while schools will be closed for the remainder of the academic year, distance learning will continue. He also said the decision for summer school will be announced at the end of May. Superintendent of the Windsor Central School District Dr. Jason Andrews told 12 News the announcement came as no surprise. “The finality of that decision really hit home with me personally, and I think with all my colleagues too,” Rullo said. “I’m just sad.”
Oil and gas company Vår Energi has entered into a partnership with the Norwegian Carbon Capture & Storage Research Center (NCCS) to enable fast track CCS technology development and deployment.Goliat field in the Barents Sea. Source: Vår EnergiVår Energi said on Friday that the agreement has a total value of NOK 30 million ($3.5 million) over a six-year period and is part of an industry-driven and science-based innovation effort.“This partnership complements Vår Energi’s research and development portfolio. The company is committed to reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases through CCS technology development,” said Oddvar Ims, R&D Manager in Vår Energi.Vår Energi will contribute by investing 5 million NOK every year for a period of six years. The joint industry project started in 2017 and will continue until 2025.“NCCS’ main objective is to become a world-leading CCS Center by enabling fast-track CCS technology development and deployment by addressing major barriers in industry projects,” Vår Energi said.“It is a proud moment for NCCS to welcome Vår Energi to one of the largest CCS R&D efforts worldwide. Personally, I am sure Vår Energi will bring enlarged momentum to the center,” said Mona J. Mølnvik, NCCS director and Research Director at SINTEF.CCS is considered to be one of the most promising solutions to effectively reduce emissions of greenhouse gases on a global scale, as a means of limiting atmospheric CO2 emissions. The NCCS consortium comprises several oil and gas companies, CCS technology vendors and users in the private and commercial sector. The joint industry project also consists of institutions such as SINTEF, NTNU, UiO, NGI and others.“Our objective is to further minimize environmental impact in our operations, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions is a key element in our mission. The Vår Energi-operated Goliat field in the Barents Sea demonstrates this commitment by being mainly electrified with power from shore, making it one of the lowest CO2 emitting fields on the Norwegian continental shelf. All initiatives to reduce the carbon footprint are positive, and CCS deployment is an effective measure. We hope that our contribution in addition to others, will further enable NCCS’ progress,” Ims added.This partnership supports the Norwegian full-scale CCS project. In addition to this, the center also supports its industry partners in developing the necessary knowledge for large scale CO2 storage in the Norwegian part of the North Sea basin.“Supported by the Research Council of Norway and the partnership, NCCS will contribute to the development of cost and energy efficient CCS technologies, smart business models, and CCS deployment at large scale in Norway, Europe and globally,” said Mølnvik.
Residents living in Thierens, Leguan, Essequibo will soon benefit from a sluice and revetment project expected to commence in June. The $89.6 million project will conclude before year-end.The project site was visited by the Region Three administration, the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA) and other stakeholdersThis was revealed by Regional Information Officer Ganesh Mahipaul during an interview with the Department of Public Information (DPI).According to Mahipaul, a team comprising members of the regional administration; representatives of the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA) and other community stakeholders, conducted an assessment visit after it was reported that the sluice was damaged.Following the visit, the decision was made to have the construction undertaken by the NDIA. The contract has been awarded to Khan’s Construction and Transportation Services Incorporation.Mahipaul said that completion of the structure would benefit approximately 600 acres of residential and farm land in the Thierens, Osterbec, Success, Bachelor’s Adventure and Wissevelegheid communities.This is one of several projects the regional administration hopes to complete in an effort to boost the Region’s agricultural development.