Convention may give aid to private schools

first_imgIn 1967, the last time a Constitutional Convention was held, the issue of money to parochial schools was at the forefront of the debate; the proposed constitution was voted down overwhelmingly because the majority of citizens didn’t wish to subsidize religious education. Catholic Church hierarchy were unhappy. Decades later, their attitude is unchanged. Now, we have even more religious groups anxious to dip into the public trough to finance their schools. These schools already have transportation and textbooks paid for by local school districts.Public schools welcome all students. Private and religious schools may, by law, choose who will attend. In many instances, religion permeates any and all class subjects. You will also hear a phony argument of “double taxation.” Parents educating their children privately and paying tuition choose to do so.The very first words of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution are: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” It extends to the states by the 14th Amendment. Aid to religious schools would most certainly constitute religious establishment.Turn your ballot over and vote no to a Constitutional Convention on Nov. 7.Cynthia SwansonNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesPuccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Kudos to George Herbert [Sept. 14 letter], John Robitzek [Sept. 28 letter], and Judy Richards [Oct. 2 letter] for pointing out the dangerous pitfalls of a state Constitutional Convention. Ethics reform is a teaser; the Legislature is mostly lawyers, and any ethics “reform” will have loopholes big enough to drive a tank through. Special thanks to Ms. Richards for reminding us that voters must turn the ballot over in order to vote “no.”Another issue that has not been addressed is the threatened elimination of Article XI, Section 3 of the state constitution, which states that no public money will be used directly or indirectly for private or religious schools.last_img read more

Where to get ridiculously low power bills in Townsville

first_imgChris Whebell and Chloe Clarke are saving money on their power bill thanks to Tesla Powerwall technology. PICTURE: MATT TAYLOR.HARRIS Crossing residents are rejoicing after receiving their latest electricity bill thanks to their Tesla Powerwall installation. The developer behind the Townsville estate, Maidment Group, offers home buyers the option to install a Tesla Powerwall 2 Home Battery System for a fraction of the normal retail price.READ MORE This renovated Queenslander is the epitome of luxury living Chris Whebell and Chloe Clarke are saving money on their power bill thanks to Tesla Powerwall technology. PICTURE: MATT TAYLOR.Chris and Chloe Clarke who have lived at Harris Crossing for almost 6 months said they were glad to have opted for the Tesla powerwall promotion after receiving their most recent electricity bill of $19.11 for the month. “We decided to include the Tesla system into our build as we liked the idea of reducing our power bills, and hopefully getting rid of them entirely some day,” Mr Whebell said. “Getting the Tesla solar system was important to us, as we believe spending that little bit extra now on technology, in the long run can help us save. “Using the app can help us monitor our output and help us save, not only money, but power and save carbon emissions.”Mr Whebell said the Telsa Powerwall has saved them a huge amount of money in the short period they had been living at the estate.“Since moving in, our electricity bills keep getting lower and lower each month, especially now that it’s coming into summer with the longer days and more sunlight,” Mr Whebell said. “We are also critical of when we use our power and try to use high energy appliances such as the washing machine, dishwasher or oven while there is still daylight. “For us it was definitely worth getting, we recommend just asking around and doing your research so you can maximise the amount of power you can save.”More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020Managing Director at Maidment Group Glen Maidment said almost every buyer at Harris Crossing had opted to have a Tesla Powerwall installed in their new home.“We’re seeing a lot of residents get their money back in about 12 months from the savings they’re making on their power bills,” Mr Maidment said. “Close to 97 per cent of buyers at the estate are opting for the inclusion of the Tesla Powerwall in their new home build. “What we are seeing people do is sell established homes in Townsville and build a new property at Harris Crossing because the money they are saving on their electricity bill is saving them a huge amount of money on their home loan.”The promotion has been running since the launch of Harris Crossing and will continue to be offered in the next stages of the estate.Buyers can secure a Tesla Powerwall and 6kw worth of solar panels for $4950 dollars. North Ward units on the movecenter_img READ MORElast_img read more

Shooting ranges reopening

first_imgStatewide—Starting the week of May 18, most DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife-owned shooting ranges will begin to reopen.All facilities will be following COVID-19 social distancing and cleaning requirements. Restrictions will reduce the number of recreational shooters on the shooting ranges at a given time.Atterbury Fish & Wildlife Area’s shooting range will open by appointment only May 15-17 and resume normal operating hours the week of May 18. Shooters wishing to schedule an appointment should call 812-526-6552.All other FWA shooting ranges, except the one at Willow Slough FWA, will reopen starting the week of May 18. Shooting range hours differ between ranges. Check open days and hours before visiting. Willow Slough FWA’s range will remain closed until further notice. Shooting range hours and information can be found by clicking here.last_img read more

Gatlin: Bolt told me I didn’t deserve boos

first_imgUSAIN Bolt told Justin Gatlin he did not deserve to be booed after taking the gold in the Jamaican’s final 100 metres outing at the IAAF World Championships.Gatlin has served two doping bans across his career and received treatment that starkly contrasted to that of Bolt at London Stadium, the American roundly jeered while Bolt was the focus of adulation.The 35-year-old came in for more negative attention as he became the first person to beat Bolt in a 100m final at a major championships and the oldest gold medallist at the Worlds with a time of 9.92 seconds.Bolt had to settle for third behind the exciting Christian Coleman, and Gatlin revealed the words of support the outgoing icon offered him at the conclusion of the race.“We’re rivals on the track but in the warm-down area we still joke and have a good time,” Gatlin told BBC Sport.“The first thing he said to me is, ‘congratulations, you worked hard for this’. He said, ‘you don’t deserve the boos’ and I thanked him for inspiring me throughout my career.”However, Gatlin claimed the continually frosty reception in London had not fazed him.“I tuned the crowd out through all the rounds,” he said. “I stayed the course, I kept my energy through the semis and came to the finals and did what I had to do.“The people who love me are here cheering for me, at home cheering for me and that’s what I’ve been thinking about.”The American said the feeling was “surreal” but relished in taking the top step of the podium and recalled his triumph at the Olympic Games in 2004.“It’s just a surreal moment. I thought of all the things I would do if I did win – I didn’t do any of that,” continued Gatlin.“It was almost like 2004 all over again. I won by a little margin and to be able to come across the line and have that excitement it’s still amazing because its Usain Bolt’s last race.“I’ve had so many victories, so many losses, and to be able to run against him throughout the years, it’s an amazing night.”(Omnisport).last_img read more

DONEGAL MUSICIANS TO CLOSE ICONIC LONDON VENUE NEXT MONTH

first_imgENTERTAINMENT: A crew of Donegal musicians will be the last to play at an iconic London venue – synonymous with Irish Country and Western music acts.Conway’s 3 is a hugely popular Irish venue in London – and has been regularly frequented by fans of Irish Country and Western Music for the best part of a decade. However, it is unfortunately closing its doors for the last time on Sunday, February 21st.The bar is owned by famous Irish Country Music star Seamus Moore – known better as the JCB man.Since the Galtymore Ballroom in Cricklewood closed its doors in 2008 – Conway’s 3 has been the venue for Irish people with a deep love and passion for Country and Western Music.All Irish acts, both based in the UK and those who tour around the UK from Ireland have all played at the famous venue. However, a group of men from Donegal will have the honour of being the last musicians   to play in the iconic venue – when they perform on the 19th, 20th and 21st of February at the Donegal and London Country Music weekend.Well-known DJ and Country Music promoter Thomas Costello – also known locally as DJ Tubbsy have said that it is a real honour to be part of the last weekend.Thomas told Donegal Daily, “My company TC promotions ran a very successful country weekend there last year.“We had seven well-known Donegal acts, and we attracted crowds of up to 300 people in attendance.“So when Seamus Moore rang me up to confirm he was closing, I had no hesitation to move the date of the festival for such a special occasion.“This year’s line up include Letterkenny band – Off the Kuff, who are made up by (John Dolan) – Buncrana star Martin Cuff, Ramelton native Paul McCahill and Inch Island man David Craig. “I’m from Arranmore Island so Donegal will be well represented at what will be a very, very special weekend for all the Irish diaspora in London.“I can also confirm we will have a special guest on the Friday night – which will be country superstar Declan Nerney.”Thomas also confirmed that there will be large crowds coming from Donegal for the weekend, as well as the Donegal diaspora based in Glasgow who will also be attending the event.Thomas added, “Conway’s 3 is a home away from home for all Irish emigrants living away from home in London. “It’s the end of an era, but hopefully another venue similar to this will start up in London to continue the tradition.”DONEGAL MUSICIANS TO CLOSE ICONIC LONDON VENUE NEXT MONTH was last modified: January 22nd, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:ActsClosingCountrydonegalLondonMUSICOff the KuffSeamus MooreThomas CostelloVenuelast_img read more