Come 8 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Monday, what looks to be a poorly kept secret will officially be out – Cristiano Ronaldo will bag his fourth Ballon d’Or as the world’s top footballer.The Real Madrid and Portugal star won the Champions League for the second time in three seasons and third time overall after one title with Manchester United in 2008.He then led Portugal to their first major title at Euro 2016 – albeit he went off early through injury in the win over France. As has been the case for almost a decade now, the 31-year-old’s main rival will be Lionel Messi of Barcelona – but the Argentine maestro has had by his own exalted standards a less than stellar year both for club and country with the top prizes eluding him on both fronts.Ronaldo was spotted midweek in training having dyed his hair gold in advance and for his club coach, there can only be one man for the crown this year.“For me there is no debate. The Ballon will be for him,” Zinedine Zidane said after his talisman’s hattrick saw off Atletico Madrid last month to underpin their domination in La Liga.“He showed it last season and he shows it again and again. We expect a lot of him but he stands above everyone.”Despite such effusive praise, Ronaldo, rested at the weekend ahead of the Club World Cup in Japan, has had some negative headlines – not least pertaining to accusations of tax evasion.Denying any wrongdoing, he responded by publishing his financial records on Thursday – showing last year he earned a bumper 227.2 million euros ($240 million).“You believe I am worried? He who owes nothing, fears nothing,” Ronaldo told broadcaster RTP.An international consortium of media organisations has claimed the superstar hid 150 million euros from image rights in the British Virgin Islands.This year marks the end of six years of joint awards by founders France Football and FIFA, which will revert to bestowing a “Best” accolade of its own on January 9 to both male and female players.The Ballon d’Or will henceforth be decided by a vote of 173 journalists while national team captains and managers will no longer have a say.Argentina and Barcelona star Messi landed a record fifth crown last year.A win will lift Ronaldo to within one award of Messi’s record haul of five.Ronaldo first won the award in 2008 after Premier League and Champions League triumphs with Manchester United.But it was only in 2013 he added his second and he made it a hat-trick the following year.The first Ballon d’Or was won by Stanley Matthews, at the time with Blackpool, who beat Alfredo Di Stefano for the inaugural title in 1956.Up to 1994 only European players were eligible.The first non-European to win it was the following year, AC Milan’s Liberian star George Weah.From 2007 it honoured the world’s best player, with FIFA under former President Sepp Blatter entering into a deal with France Football in 2010 to merge the Ballon d’Or with FIFA’s best world player honour.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Wellington Police noters for Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2015: â€¢1:05 p.m. Officers investigated criminal deprivation of property and criminal use of a financial card in the 100 block W. Harvey, Wellington, occurred October 7, 2015.â€¢1:05 p.m. Officers investigated criminal deprivation of property and criminal use of a financial Card in the 2200 E. 16th, Wellington, which occurred October 7, 2015.â€¢1:05 p.m. Officers investigated criminal deprivation of property and criminal use of a financial card in the 700 block S. Blaine, Wellington, which occurred October 9, 2015.â€¢2:05 p.m. Non-Injury, private property accident in the 1700 block E. 16th, Wellington involving unoccupied vehicles owned by Benjamin L. Olson, Wellington and Claudia L. Wilson, Topeka.â€¢8:25 p.m. Kelli L. Barton, 37, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for fail to signal within 100 feet.
Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “Oh my God,” said Zverev, who also became the first German winner since 1995. “I’ve won one (year-end title). He’s won five. He’s won, I don’t know what, 148 titles more than me. Let’s not go there for now. I hope I can do great … but just chill out a little bit.”Top-ranked Djokovic was attempting to tie Roger Federer’s record of six titles but followed the same path as the Swiss great, who lost to Zverev in the semifinals at the O2 Arena.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissDjokovic’s serve hadn’t been broken all tournament until the final. Zverev did it once in the first set and three times in the second, completing the victory with a spectacular backhand winner up the line.“There’s a lot of similarities in terms of trajectory … in our careers,” said Djokovic, who ended a two-year Grand Slam title drought by winning Wimbledon this year, before going on to claim his 14th major trophy at the U.S. Open. “Hopefully he (Zverev) can surpass me.” Both players began the match in the same form that had seen them earn straight-sets semifinal victories a day earlier, with few points going against the server.It was Djokovic, who had lost just two of his previous 37 matches and defeated Zverev in the round robin, who began to feel the pressure as consecutive forehand errors gave up his first break of the tournament for 5-4.Fans gave Zverev a huge ovation as he stepped up to serve for the set, and it appeared to inspire him. Three straight aces brought up three set points, the second of which he took when Djokovic sent another forehand long.“I was making way too many unforced errors,” Djokovic said. “From 4-4 in the first set, my game really fell apart.”Zverev even began to win the longer rallies, an area of the game that Djokovic usually dominates. A 26-shot duel brought up another break point in the opening game of the second set and, although Djokovic saved it, Zverev won another lengthy exchange moments later with a forehand winner to go 1-0 up.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal With the biggest win of his career in sight, Zverev began to show some nerves. Although he is the only active male player outside of the Big Four of Djokovic, Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray to possess three or more Masters titles, the young German has only reached one Grand Slam quarterfinal.Two double faults and two backhand errors gifted Djokovic an immediate break back, but Zverev quickly refocused to win a 28-shot rally on his way to breaking in the following game.“I lost my serve once against him today,” Zverev said. “I think this is a pretty good stat, especially as he’s the best returner we have in the game.”From there he remained solid on serve, before ending with a flourish. A backhand winner on the run drifted past the helpless Djokovic and Zverev sunk to the ground in tears.“This trophy means a lot, everything,” Zverev said. “You only have so many chances of winning it. You play against the best players only.”Djokovic sportingly crossed the net to embrace the player who will now be considered among the favorites in Australia in two months’ time to end the Serb’s run of two consecutive Grand Slam victories.“I’ve had most success in my career in Australia,” said Djokovic, who has won six times in Melbourne. “Hopefully I can keep that going.”Earlier, American pair Mike Bryan and Jack Sock saved a match point in the deciding tiebreaker to beat Pierre-Hughes Herbert and Nicolas Mahut 5-7, 6-1, 13-11 for their first ATP Finals doubles title together.Having failed to take advantage of five championship points during the first-to-10 match tiebreaker, Bryan and Sock then had to save one against their French opponents before finally closing out victory.“It was a hell of a match,” Bryan said. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Alexander Zverev of Germany holds the trophy after defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia in their ATP World Tour Finals singles final tennis match at the O2 Arena in London, Sunday Nov. 18, 2018. (AP Photo/Tim Ireland)LONDON — Despite beating Novak Djokovic in straight sets to win the ATP Finals at only 21, Alexander Zverev knows keeping pace with the Serb isn’t going to be easy.Zverev claimed the biggest title of his career with a 6-4, 6-3 upset on Sunday, becoming the youngest champion of the season-ending event since Djokovic claimed the first of his five titles a decade ago — also at age 21.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Aldridge, DeRozan help Spurs extend Warriors’ skid View comments Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? The 40-year-old Bryan has now won the tournament five times. He won four times with his usual partner — and brother — Bob, who has been out with an injured hip since May.Sock and Bryan have dominated since teaming up, winning Wimbledon and the U.S. Open before finishing their season in style in London.“It’s been a hell of a ride,” Bryan said. “This could be our last hoorah because Bob’s training back in Florida.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next