Un De Sceaux was soon adopting his customary role in the hands of Ruby Walsh, albeit perhaps slightly more harnessed than has been the case in the past, and some bold leaps kept up the heat. Gilgamboa was feeling the pinch when making a mistake in the back straight and although Clarcam went in pursuit jumping the second fence from the finish, Un De Sceaux engaged overdrive rounding the home turn to leave him toiling. Another fine leap at the final fence sealed his 15-length success, with Clarcam, already a Grade One winner over fences and receiving 10lb from the market leader, holding off Gilgamboa by half a length for second. RaceBets make Un De Sceaux the 10-11 favourite from 2-1 for the Arkle at Cheltenham on March 10, with Paddy Power going 4-5 from 2s. Mullins said: “His jumping was fantastic today and he looked reasonably settled. “He’s passed the test today and the Arkle will be his target at Cheltenham. “He was quite calm today and if he can repeat that performance (at Cheltenham) he will be tough to beat. “He can stand off or he can stand anywhere. I thought he was awesome.” Press Association Willie Mullins summed up the mood perfectly as he hailed Un De Sceaux “awesome” after a scintillating display of raw power and jumping accuracy in the Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase at Leopardstown. Walsh said: “They’re two good horses behind him, Gilgamboa and Clarcam. “We went a good, honest gallop. I think the boys thought I might go a bit faster, but I thought I was going plenty quick. “He jumped really well. He was good and brave down the back, he was very clever at the second-last and he quickened away from them and won very well at the death. “For a front-runner that does everything on the bridle and going forward, he does find. He doesn’t stop. You know there’s a bit in the tank.” With his front-running style earning him seven wins from as many starts over hurdles, the seven-year-old began the campaign as one of the most exciting novice chase prospects of recent years. His fencing career did not get off to the best of starts as he came to grief when miles clear at Thurles, but he got back on track at Fairyhouse last month and was an 8-11 favourite for his Grade One debut.
The IAAF on Tuesday launched its new official world rankings system, designed to provide a more effective way of identifying the top athletes in each discipline by rewarding consistency and competition among the world’s best.Athletes’ positions in the IAAF world rankings will be based upon the points they score, determined by their performance and place, and the importance of the competition in which those results are achieved to the IAAF global calendar.Following a 10-month period of consultation with stakeholders from across the athletics family, the final rankings system balances the wide-ranging feedback and competing needs of those within the sport. The world rankings will not be used for qualification for the IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019, but yesterday’s launch will enable athletes, member federations and key stakeholders to see during the 2019 season how the world rankings system works in practice.The world rankings will also bring clarity to the competition structure from national through to global events, incentivising the top athletes to support the best competitions.“For the first time in the sport’s history, athletes, media and fans will have a clear understanding of the hierarchy of competitions from national through to area and up to global events, allowing them to follow a logical season-long path to the pinnacle of athletics’ top two competitions,” said IAAF President Sebastian Coe. “The IAAF world rankings will drive and shape the global competition system including entry into future major championships and enable everyone in and interested in our sport to know who is No.1 in the world.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Ronaldo’s declaration of intent to remain at the Bernabeu for the upcoming season comes despite rumours of his departure which surfaced last month in Portuguese newspaper O Globo.Those reports were founded on his apparent feeling of abandonment by his club over his run-in with the Spanish tax authorities.Ronaldo, 32, has been summoned to appear before a judge near Madrid on July 31 to answer four counts of evading 14.7 million euros ($16.8 million) in taxes.The four-time Ballon d’Or winner has protested his innocence with O Globo saying he had threatened to leave Real over the investigation.Since extending his contract last November until 2021, Ronaldo is the highest paid sports star in the world with $93 million (83m euro) in 2016-2017, according to Forbes magazine.On Saturday Real manager Zinedine Zidane assured Real supporters that the superstar striker “was on holiday and would be back with us on (August) 5”.Ronaldo has been given leave to miss the club’s pre-season US tour and Zidane, speaking in Los Angeles, insisted that he would be back at the club “on the fifth (of August) and I think he’ll stay for the next two or three years he’s got left with us.”In Tuesday’s Marca interview Ronaldo also looked ahead to the 2018 World Cup with European champions Portugal.“We still have to qualify but I’m hoping that Portugal can win an incredible title.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Cristiano Ronaldo has won three Champions League titles with Real Madrid © AFP/File / SERGIO CAMACHOMADRID, Spain, Jul 25 – Cristiano Ronaldo has told a Spanish newspaper he is staying put at Real Madrid to plunder more silverware, ending weeks of speculation about his future.“To win important trophies with my club and the personal honours last season was brilliant, to do it again would be nice,” Ronaldo told the sports daily Marca on Tuesday in an interview from Shanghai.