Govt expects unemployment to worsen, continue into next year

first_imgThe government expects 4 million additional people to fall below the poverty line this year, making for a total of 28 million people in poverty in the nation, or around 10.6 percent of the population, up from 9.2 percent in September of last year.“With government’s intervention, we could reduce [the number of additional people who fall into poverty] to under 1 million so that it does not reach double digits this year,” said Suharso.The government is targeting a poverty rate of between 9.2 percent to 9.7 percent next year, according to the minister.The government has allocated Rp 695.2 trillion (US$49.2 billion), or 4.2 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP), to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. Of that figure, Rp 172.1 trillion has been designated for the social safety net, far higher than the previous plan’s allocation of Rp 110 trillion.Indonesia’s economy has been hit hard by the pandemic. It grew 2.97 percent in the first three months this year, the weakest since 2001, as household spending and investment growth slowed.The government expects the economy to shrink by 3.8 percent in the second quarter of this year, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said during the same hearing.Sri Mulyani revised the country’s expected GDP growth down to between negative 0.4 percent and positive 1 percent this year because of feeble economic activity and depressed commodity prices.“The government is currently focusing on the economic recovery in the third and fourth quarters from the contraction in the second quarter,” Sri told lawmakers. “We will use our policy instruments, supported by Bank Indonesia, to maintain recovery momentum.”The government is hoping the economy will grow by 4.5 to 5.5 percent in 2021 on the back of a global economic recovery as the pandemic subsides.The World Bank expects the country’s poverty rate to increase by 2.1 to 3.6 percentage points this year, which would mean between 5.6 million and 9.6 million people could fall into poverty this year.“There is a need for adequate protection for vulnerable communities,” World Bank senior economist for Indonesia Ralph Van Doorn said recently. “We are concerned that the value of the stimulus package may not be enough to offset the economic impact on households.”The World Bank now projects zero percent growth for Indonesia this year as the COVID-19 crisis causes the global economy to experience its deepest downturn since World War II.Topics : “If the [economic] condition persists throughout the year, we are worried that unemployment will reach 10.7 million to 12.7 million in 2021,” Suharso said during a parliamentary hearing on Monday.The coronavirus has forced people to stay at home, disrupting business activity as shops, factories and offices have shut their doors. As economic activity languishes, millions of Indonesians have lost their jobs and are in danger of falling into poverty.As of May 27, more than 1.79 million people had lost their jobs after nonessential businesses shut down to comply with government restrictions, according to data from the Manpower Ministry.“We are hoping that jobs will return to near prepandemic levels,” Suharso said. The nation’s high unemployment rate is expected to worsen and continue into next year as the country braces for further economic consequences of the COVID-19 crisis, senior government officials said on Monday.Some 5.5 million people may lose their jobs this year, pushing the unemployment rate to between 8.1 and 9.2 percent, up from 5.28 percent last year, according to National Development Planning Minister Suharso Monoarfa.As a result, up to 12.7 million people are expected to be unemployed by next year, up from 7.05 million people in 2019. The government’s baseline scenario for next year predicts that the unemployment rate will be between 7.7 and 9.1 percent.last_img read more

Gov. Wolf Announces More Support for Victims of Sexual Assault

first_imgGov. Wolf Announces More Support for Victims of Sexual Assault SHARE Email Facebook Twitter February 11, 2020center_img Criminal Justice Reform,  Human Services,  Press Release Governor Tom Wolf announced today that the Office of Victims’ Services in the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) is now accepting sexual assault counseling claims for victims of sexual abuse. This claim process, which was enacted as part of Act 87 of 2019, covers the costs of therapy and counseling for victims of childhood and adult sexual abuse in the commonwealth.“With this new process, victims of one of the most unimaginable crimes have another means of receiving the support they deserve,” Gov. Wolf said. “My executive order for mental health support, Reach Out PA: Your Mental Health Matters, emphasizes the need to remove barriers to mental health care and this monetary support for counseling services can help eliminate barriers to vital wellness care for sexual assault survivors.”The sexual assault counseling claim process is modeled after the Victims Compensation Assistance Program (VCAP), which also provides financial support to victims after a crime has occurred. Unlike standard VCAP claims, sexual assault victims seeking counseling services related to their abuse under this new claim process are not required to have reported the assault to police or other authorities to be eligible to receive these counseling benefits.Under the law, a direct victim of sexual abuse who at the time of the crime was 18 or older is potentially eligible for up to $5,000 in counseling services. A direct victim of sexual abuse who at the time of the crime was under 18 is potentially eligible for up to $10,000 in counseling services. Counseling services include mental health therapy performed by or under the supervision of a psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed professional counselor, or licensed social worker.To be considered for an award under this claim process, a direct victim/claimant must first submit a completed Sexual Assault Counseling Claim form to PCCD’s VCAP unit. The form can be found online at PCCD’s website, by calling 1-800-233-2339 or emailing ra-davesupport.@pa.gov.Learn more about the claim process.last_img read more

No Crises in Nigerian Basketball, Dalung Tells FIBA

first_img“Can a spectator take a shot from outside the field and the referee records it as a goal? Tijani Umar did not register to contest or obtain an election form and therefore could not have contested for the Presidential post.“If he obtained election form, then he could have gone to the Appeals Committee to register his grievances but he couldn’t appeal because he didn’t even buy a form, therefore he wasn’t even eligible to protest.”The Minister told the delegation including the FIBA Executive Director Africa, Dr Alphonse Bile, Special Advisor to FIBA Secretary General, Mr Lubomir Kotleba and FIBA Competition Commission member Fode Amara Conde, that Tijani Umar was a government nominee for eight years and never complained of government interference until government decided to have democratically elected federations devoid of government nominees.“What is the definition of government interference? Is it when government directs that there must be popular elections with a democratised space or when government nominates 155 members of the board?”The minister also thanked FIBA for their assistance to Nigeria through funding, grants and training.“We have received assistance from FIBA. We have received funding too. We are indeed very grateful for the partnership we enjoy with FIBA but we look forward to a more robust partnership with the governing body.“Basketball is one sport that is easy and cheap to set up in a rural community and I think that grassroots sports development should be the priority of our partnership,” he noted.Dalung also appealed to FIBA to support Nigeria in the development and training of coaches and officials which he said is very significant to sports development.He also urged FIBA to consider giving Nigeria the hosting rights for a World Championship someday.In attendance was also the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Mr Adesola Olusade and Director, FEAD, Mrs Tayo Oreweme.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram In apparent solidarity with the June 13, 2017 election that ushered into office Ahmadu Musa Kida as president of the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung, told FIBA officials on a fact-finding mission to Nigeria yesterday that there was no crises in the federation.Dalung told the three FIBA officials who visited his office on Monday in Abuja that the election that brought Kida to office was free and fair.“The position of government is that there is no crisis in basketball. We only heard and read in the newspapers of allegations against government of interference in basketball elections.last_img read more