Creamline coolly smashes foe sans star Valdez

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netAt least for the moment, there appears to be no need for Alyssa Valdez.Creamline played without its heroine and still came through with a convincing 25-22, 25-21, 25-22 win over Power Smashers Wednesday night to remain spotless in the Premier Volleyball League Open Conference at Filoil Flying V Centre.ADVERTISEMENT 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano MOST READ Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener PLAY LIST 01:14Alyssa Valdez stays positive despite PH loss in volleyball opener00:50Trending Articles02:02‘Bata’ Reyes bows to Vietnamese foe for another SEA Games bronze01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend LIVE: Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade LATEST STORIES Malacañang open to creating Taal Commission Mapua battles Perpetual at home Jia Morado tossed 50 excellent sets, fanning out the offensive chores masterfully.It was a sorry loss for the Power Smashers, who succumbed to their fourth defeat in five matches.What happened in the third set mirrored the second when Creamline fell behind, 18-21, against the youthful but inexperienced squad.Rosemarie Vargas strung up three straight points—all through soft-touch hits— while Colleen Bravo scored three kill blocks to lift the Cool Smashers.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation The win practically qualified the Cool Smashers to the next round—they have won all their five matches so far.“It’s a challenge for the team, really. So we have to step up and prove that it’s all team effort,” said Pau Soriano in Filipino.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’The veteran spiker accounted for 15 points including five straight in the homestretch as the Cool Smashers raced from a 20-22 hole en route to the straight sets victory.But most importantly, Creamline proved that it can stand its ground even without top scorer and team leader Valdez, who is currently in Japan training with the Philippine team. View commentslast_img read more

Mortaza says Bangladesh a force in limited-overs cricket

first_img– skipper satisfied with team combinationBy Clifton RossBangladesh Captain Mashrafe Mortaza says his team’s reputation in limited-overs cricket is not to be taken lightly, as the visitors prepare for the first ODI against Windies on Sunday at the Providence National Stadium.Bangladesh arrived in Guyana on Friday night, looking for a new start in a new format following a nightmare 2-0 loss in the Tests. Mortaza, who has been one of the driving forces behind the Asians’ success in limited-overs cricket, said during the pre-match training session at Providence on Saturday, that the Tigers were tailor-made for this format and were banking on their track record.Bangladesh Captain Mashrafe Mortaza and West Indies Captain JasonHolder share a moment at Providence ahead of today’s ODI“I think this format suits us a lot and we have a good combination. West Indies have two good batsmen at the top, but we have to be positive and do what we can do to win like bowling in the right areas and we can get their top order out, then we can have some fun,” said the Bangladesh Captain.The all-rounder highlighted that the Windies star-studded team, which include Chris Gayle, Andre Russell, Evin Lewis and others, will be a force to reckon with, but is backing his vast bowling options to deliver.As an experienced campaigner with 187 ODIs under his belt and 238 wickets to his credit, the 34-year-old said his past experience having played at Providence back in 2007, will be key for his team as they look to set a decent target, should they bat first. “I played a long time here, back in 2007, so I’m not sure what to expect, but I think around 250 or 260 can be a good score.”The skipper pointed out that the experienced pair of batters in all-rounder Shakib Al-Hasan and wicket-keeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim has been doing their jobs for the team and he expected the rest of the team to lend support to the two senior players, along with explosive opener Tamim Iqbal.Windies Captain Jason Holder said that he was fixed on maintaining the same form the team exhibited in the Test series. He noted that while the shift in format required some sort of transition, his team and the players were more than ready to get their 2019 World Cup campaign underway with a win in the ODI series.The two teams endured a few days of vigorous practice and net sessions as they sought to keenly transition from Test to 50-Over mode. Gayle, Russell, and Guyanese Keemo Paul, Devendra Bishoo and Shimron Hetmyer all had good net sessions on Saturday under the watchful eyes of Head Coach Stuart Law, Toby Radford, Corey Collymore and others.Russell returns to the ODI side since 2015, while Gayle has had mixed results over the past few months, but would still play a key role for his team throughout the limited-overs series.Bangladesh conducted their session shortly after lunch under guidance of former West Indies pacer turned Coach Courtney Walsh, who ensured his players got an adequate feel of Providence and its conditions with just hours left to the start of the ODI series.Today, the first of two ODIs at Providence bowls off from 09:30h.last_img read more

Local B.C. Liquor Store looking for another sellout year for twin bears

first_imgFort St. John has been the provincial sales champion for the past 10 years, again selling out of its 2,400 bears in 2012. “Myself and my staff would like to say thank you for making the program such a success in FortSt. John and bringing smiles to the faces of all,” says Senior Manager Warren Mears. In what’s become a trend, 742 of the bears that were sold locally were donated right back, meaning 3,142 bears were given out to local charities. Here in town, those include the Child Development Centre, the Salvation Army Hamper Fund, the Fort St. John Hospital Foundation, B.C. Ambulance Service, RCMP Victim Services, Stockings for Kids, Ride for the Disabled, and the Special Olympics. – Advertisement -Once again, this year’s goal is to sell 2,400 by Christmas Eve. The local store has participated in the “Twin Bear” program for 24 consecutive years now.Advertisementlast_img read more

Akumu dropped from Migne’s AFCON squad

first_imgDefender Brian Mandela is already ruled out having picked up a knee injury in the morning session, one that looks to keep him out for a while.Sofapaka FC striker John Avire has made it in the final squad having made his senior team debut in the Madagascar friendly and now has another chance to show his worth in an area that Kenya has struggled with over time.With Mandela out injured, Vihiga United centre-back Bernard Ochieng will now also get a chance to fight for a starting place in the team, having been included in the 23.Harambee Stars AFCON 2019 squadGoalkeepers: Patrick Matasi, Faruk Shikalo, John OyembaDefenders: David Owino, Musa Mohammed, Bernard Ochieng, Joseph Okumu, Joash Onyango, Eric Ouma, Philemon Otieno, Aboud Omar.Midfielders: Victor Wanyama, Ismail Gonzalez, Dennis Odhiambo, Eric Johannah, Francis Kahata, Paul Were, Johannah Omolo.Strikers: Ovela Ochieng, Ayub Timbe, Michael Olunga, John Avire, Masud Juma.0Shares0000(Visited 10 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Zesco United and Harambee Stars midfielder Teddy Akumu walks out before the friendly match against Madagascar in Paris on June 7, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluPARIS, France, June 10 – Zesco United midfielder Anthony Akumu has been dropped from head coach Sebastien Migne’s final 23-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations which kicks off in 10 days’ time in Cairo, Egypt.Also axed from the squad is Christopher Mbamba who will have to wait longer for his debut in national team colors as well as Clifton Miheso. Mbamba also picked up a slight ankle knock in Monday’s evening session.last_img read more

Tottenham keen to sign goalkeeper permanently – but deal is yet to be agreed

first_img Pau Lopez: The 22-year-old has spent the season on loan at Spurs from Espanyol Pau Lopez’s permanent switch to Tottenham is yet to be agreed, according to reports in Spain.The 22-year-old goalkeeper is coming to the end of his season-long loan at Spurs from Espanyol, in a deal which was expected to be made into a permanent transfer.It has been reported the deal is already done and dusted with only formalities to complete, but Spanish newspaper Sport says this is far from the truth and there is still work to be done on both sides to get the agreement over the line.It has been suggested that Spurs want to lower the £6m purchase option on Lopez, who is yet to play but has been on the bench for five Premier League games. They must reach an agreement with Espanyol before Lopez is able to settle in north London. 1last_img read more

Norwich City news: Championship fixtures 2017-18 – Every Canaries game revealed

first_img Scroll down for Norwich City’s 2017-18 Championship fixtures 1 Norwich City 2017-18 Championship fixtures05/08/2017 15:00 Fulham v Norwich City12/08/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Sunderland15/08/2017 19:45 Norwich City v Queens Park Rangers19/08/2017 15:00 Aston Villa v Norwich City26/08/2017 15:00 Millwall v Norwich City09/09/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Birmingham City12/09/2017 19:45 Norwich City v Burton Albion16/09/2017 15:00 Sheffield United v Norwich City23/09/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Bristol City26/09/2017 19:45 Middlesbrough v Norwich City30/09/2017 15:00 Reading v Norwich City14/10/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Hull City21/10/2017 15:00 Ipswich Town v Norwich City28/10/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Derby County31/10/2017 19:45 Norwich City v Wolverhampton04/11/2017 15:00 Bolton Wanderers v Norwich City18/11/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Barnsley21/11/2017 19:45 Nottingham Forest v Norwich City25/11/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Preston North End02/12/2017 15:00 Cardiff City v Norwich City09/12/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Sheffield Wednesday16/12/2017 15:00 Leeds United v Norwich City23/12/2017 15:00 Norwich City v Brentford26/12/2017 15:00 Birmingham City v Norwich City30/12/2017 15:00 Burton Albion v Norwich City01/01/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Millwall13/01/2018 15:00 Bristol City v Norwich City20/01/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Sheffield United27/01/2018 15:00 Brentford v Norwich City03/02/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Middlesbrough10/02/2018 15:00 Derby County v Norwich City17/02/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Ipswich Town20/02/2018 19:45 Wolverhampton v Norwich City24/02/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Bolton Wanderers03/03/2018 15:00 Barnsley v Norwich City06/03/2018 19:45 Norwich City v Nottingham Forest10/03/2018 15:00 Hull City v Norwich City17/03/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Reading31/03/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Fulham02/04/2018 15:00 Queens Park Rangers v Norwich City07/04/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Aston Villa10/04/2018 19:45 Sunderland v Norwich City14/04/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Cardiff City21/04/2018 15:00 Preston North End v Norwich City28/04/2018 15:00 Norwich City v Leeds United06/05/2018 12:30 Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich CitytalkSPORT and talkSPORT 2 have exclusive radio rights to the Sky Bet EFL Championship, League One and League Two for the next three seasons.The talkSPORT network will be the only place to hear 110 regular season EFL matches as well as the play-off semi-finals and finals.last_img read more

Giroud claims he rejected Chelsea

first_imgArsenal new boy Olivier Giroud has claimed that he turned down a move to Chelsea in order to sign for the Gunners.The France international, 25, completed a transfer to the Emirates Stadium from Montpellier this week.“The choice was between Chelsea and Arsenal. I chose Arsenal because of the club’s philosophy and stability,” he told French television channel TF1.“It is something that means a lot for me. I’ve always dreamed of playing in the Premier League and Arsenal are a great club with many French players.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

Former team-mates in shock after ex-QPR star is involved in road collision

first_imgFormer team-mates of Clarke Carlisle have reacted with shock to the news that the ex-QPR defender has been involved in a serious road accident.The 35-year-old spent four years at Loftus Road and more recently was chairman of the Professional Footballers’ Association.He played alongside Dan Shittu during a memorable spell for Rangers in which they reached the Division Two play-off final in 2003 and were promoted the following season.And Shittu tweeted: “Clarky, stay strong. My prayers and thoughts are with you brother.”Clarky, stay strong. My prayers and thoughts are with you brother. http://t.co/pqhn3IdWip— Dan Shittu (@danshittu) December 22, 2014Former R’s midfielder Marcus Bean wrote: “Horrible news re Clarkie im in shock. He’s a fighter praying he pulls through. all my thoughts with him and his family.”Marc Bircham tweeted: “Was told the news earlier today of my good friend Clarke Carlisle .. Really hoping he pulls through . Thoughts are with his family x.“Clarke is One of the real nice guys on the planet . Would do anything for you. I’ve been in a state of shock but I know he will pull through.”Was told the news earlier today of my good friend Clarke Carlisle .. Really hoping he pulls through . Thoughts are with his family x — Marc Bircham (@marcbircham) December 22, 2014Tom Williams, who spent time at Rangers on loan, added: “C’mon Clarke pull thru this mate – all my prayers are for you and your family.”Ex-QPR and England full-back David Bardsley, who played alongside Carlisle at Blackpool, tweeted: “Wishing my big old team Clarke Carlisle a very quick recovery, a fantastic man . Love the big man.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Brentford youngsters beat QPR

first_imgBrentford’s B team beat QPR’s development side 3-0 on Wednesday afternoon.All the goals came in the first half at the Bees’ Osterley training ground, where Manny Onariase, Herson Alves and Justin Shaibu found the net.Onariase blasted in the opener on 12 minutes after being found at the far post by Zain Westbrooke’s cross.Lukas Talbro crossed for Alves to score the second shortly before Chris Mepham set up Shaibu for the third.It meant another heavy defeat for Rangers, who were beaten 6-2, 4-1 and 6-1 in their previous three Under-23 matches. See also:QPR youngsters beat Crystal PalaceDon’t despair – QPR’s youth system is beginning to work againQPR youngsters lose to Sheffield UnitedThree consecutive heavy defeats for QPR youngstersCall-ups for QPR’s Wszolek and WashingtonFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

More MH370 debris being investigated

first_imgThe Australian Transport Safety Bureau and the Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia confirmed on Monday that the piece of wreckage had arrived in Canberra as part of the search for the missing Boeing 777.Officials said it was likely to be a wing flap and was found by locals on Pemba Island, off the coast of Tanzania, on June 23.“Malaysia and Australia have worked with Tanzanian officials to assume responsibility for the wing flap,’’ they said in a statement. “Technical specialists from the ATSB are working with Malaysian investigators to determine if it is from the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, MH370.’’MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, while travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board and its disappearance has become a huge aviation mystery.  The ATSB has so far examined examined four pieces of debris on behalf of Malaysia and determined them to be “almost certainly”  from MH370.This is in addition to the flaperon found on La Reunion Island in July last year and positively identified by French officials as being from  the plane.The search for the missing airliner in the southern Indian Ocean has been hampered by rough weather and has yet to finish sweeping the 120,000 sq. km area experts believe  is the most likely resting place of the wreckage. Transport ministers from Australia, Malaysia and China are due to meet in Kuala Lumpur on Friday to discuss arrangements for ending the sea search once the area has been covered.last_img read more