Chris Stewart APTN National NewsWhile the community of Red Pheasant tries to mourn the loss of Colten Boushie several people say it’s not helping that the RCMP have upped patrols that includes pulling people over and shinning spotlights into homes.Residents on the Saskatchewan First Nation say it’s harassment.“Getting stopped for no cause,” said resident Tash Baptiste, and Boushie’s aunt. “Just like last night. They asked why they were driving up and down … this is a reserve. We have relatives at every house. It’s not a crime to jump in your vehicle and go visit somebody.”Boushie was shot and killed Aug. 9 in a farmer’s field a short distance away in Biggar, about an hour west of Saskatoon. Gerald Stanley has been charged with second-degree murder and is out on bail pending a trial.The shooting sparked a massive outcry over racism in the province.Sabrina Peeaychaw, also Boushie’s aunt, said she’s seen RCMP out patrolling.“Stopping in people’s yards. Flashing their spotlights in their homes. Pulling into yards, as well as peeking into windows,” said Peeaychew.Peeaychew is also on the Red Pheasant council and said she called the RCMP to complain.“It has become a problem. I thought I would take it upon myself and question them. The RCMP returned my call stating they spoke to their constables. They are only to come to our community if there are any calls for them to be here,” she said.Stanley’s next court date is scheduled for Sept. 13.
Personnel at Naval Weapons Station Charleston, S.C., starting this week will be able to use a bookmobile operated by the Berkeley County Library System, under a partnership agreement officials from the library system and Joint Base Charleston signed last week.The collaboration provides a tremendous benefit to the weapons station as the joint base, made up of the weapons station and Charleston Air Force Base, only has enough staff to keep either the weapons station’s library or the Air Force base’s open at any given time. The bookmobile — which offers print and digital books, audio books and DVDs — will be available to weapons station residents when their library is closed. The bookmobile also offers computer stations with access to the library’s databases and Wi-Fi, reported Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs.Col. Robert Lyman, Joint Base Charleston commander, and Donna Worden, director of the library system, signed the agreement at the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce.“We have a great relationship with the Lowcountry and all the surrounding Charleston communities,” said Lt. Col. Ralph Taylor, 628th Mission Support Group deputy commander and the base’s P4 (public-public and public-private) partnership director. “Having these P4 initiatives even makes it stronger because we’re meeting with them on a quarterly basis … and discussing new initiatives,” he said.Both parties said they would explore developing further initiatives in the future. “The agreement is the first step to a long-lasting relationship with Joint Base Charleston WS [Weapons Station],” said Barbara Ash, the library system’s children’s librarian. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
Little known fact: Ballers backwards is Srellab. HBO Welcome back to Netpicks, your guide to finding out what’s new online. Every week, we put together a podcast that lets you know what’s been added to services like Netflix, Hulu and HBO Now. The audio is about a minute or two long.Since you’re reading this, let’s give you some extra information not found in the podcast: You can’t keep a good property down. He-Man is coming back, this time to Netflix. It’s called Masters of the Universe: Revelation and it’s headed up by Kevin Smith of all people. This could be great or awful or just OK. Want to know what else is new? Listen to this guy: Ballers, American Factory and more Netpicks Cord Cutters (OTT) Tags TV and Movies Home Entertainment For more information on what’s available to watch online, check out CNET.com/Netpicks or subscribe to the podcast — it’s free! And go to TVGuide.com to see what else is out in the world of streaming. Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: Audio (weekly): RSS | iTunes | Google PlayVideo (monthly): iTunes (HD) | iTunes (HQ) | iTunes (SD) | RSS (HD) | RSS (HQ)| RSS (SD) 2:31 Your browser does not support the audio element. Post a comment What’s new to stream in August 2019 0 Amazon Prime HBO Amazon Hulu Netflix
Volkswagen’s former chief executive Martin Winterkorn was informed that the car-maker had told regulators it was using defeat devices two weeks before the scandal became public, German tabloid Bild am Sonntag reported Sunday.It said it was in possession of a letter sent Sept. 4, 2015, by an unnamed manager directly to then-CEO Winterkorn that said: “In the conversation on 03.09.2015 with the regulator CARB (California Air Resources Board), the defeat device was admitted. (sic)”Volkswagen’s US CEO Michael Horn told a U.S. House of Representatives hearing in October the company had told regulators Sept. 3 it was using defeat devices.A letter pointing to the then-CEO could lend weight to the cases of shareholders planning to sue Volkswagen for compensation for the plunge in its share price, saying VW should have told the public as soon as it became aware.The law firm acting for Winterkorn, who resigned on Sept. 23, was not immediately reachable for comment.A Volkswagen spokesman said the company declined to comment on an ongoing investigation.German financial watchdog Bafin is investigating whether Volkswagen breached disclosure rules when it admitted to falsifying U.S. emissions tests in September. It said last month the probe would probably take several more months.In parallel with investigations by various authorities, Volkswagen has hired law firm Jones Day to carry out an internal probe into identifying who ordered engineers to develop and install software designed to cheat U.S. diesel-emissions tests, and who knew.The discovery of the cheating, which U.S. authorities announced Sept. 18, unleashed one of Volkswagen’s biggest-ever scandals, leading to the resignation of several top managers and likely to cost it tens of billions of dollars.The news wiped 17 percent, or more than â‚¬13 billion ($14.2 billion), off Volkswagen’s market value on the next trading day.Volkswagen is expected to present the first results of its investigation in April. It has said so far it has no reason to believe that more than a few people were involved in the cheating, and not at top level.
Kolkata: The tableau of the Bengal government is all set to take part in the Republic Day Parade in New Delhi. The Defence Ministry has already approved it with the theme ‘Santiniketan and Gandhiji at Beliaghata’. Bengal is one of the 14 states whose tableau will be gracing the parade on January 26.This is for the first time when the Defense ministry had selected the theme of the tableaus for the Republic Day Parade. Gandhiji was selected as the theme to mark the occasion of his 150th birth anniversary. Bengal’s tableau has been designed as per plans and directions of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. Also Read – 3 injured, flight, train services hit as rains lash Bengal”It was in March 1915 when Gandhiji had met Rabindranath Tagore at Santiniketan. The moment will be captured through the tableau this year. A fibre model is being created to portray the meeting. The model will be placed at the front of the trailer which will be 48 feet in length and 14 feet wide. The model of Rabindranath Tagore’s house ‘Shyamoli’ has been created as a background of the meeting,” a senior official of the state Information and Cultural Affairs department said. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAt the back side of the trailer, the model of Haider Manzil, now known as Gandhi Bhavan, has been made. Gandhiji had sat on fast at this place in Beliaghata on August 13, 1947 for 73 hours to protest against countrywide riots. Some rioters had surrendered before the ‘Father of the Nation’ and after they assured peace, Gandhiji broke his fast. “This entire sequence has been etched out in the form of model,” the official added. It may be mentioned that on August 15, 1947, when India gained Independence, Gandhiji was at Haider Manzil. There is an expert committee of the Ministry of Defence that qualifies the tableaus that the states propose to display at the Republic Day Parade after going through all its details. The committee goes through the sketches, models and all aspects of the tableau. Last year, the tableau of the state government with the theme “Ekatai Sampriti” was not allowed by the Defence ministry. It may be mentioned that the erstwhile Left Front government had refused to send tableaus at the Republic Day Parade in Delhi from 1999. It was in 2012 when under the initiative of Mamata Banerjee the state’s tableau took part in the parade. Bengal had won the award for the best tableau in 2014 and 2016 respectively. In 2014, the tableau was based on Chhau Dance while in 2016 it was Banglar Baul. In 2017, the theme for the tableau was Sharod Utsav which depicted how people from all communities participate in the state’s biggest festival — Durga Puja.