In my 11 years of publishing, I find this to be the most exciting, vibrant and interesting time I’ve experienced and looking at this time period as an incredible breeding ground for experimentation and innovation. I only see good things ahead for magazines and, more importantly, publishing companies that are willing to face the fact that this ain’t your mother’s or father’s publishing industry. So either get on board, or walk that plank![PHOTO: Disney] What ever happened to the idea that a good captain always goes down with his ship? Or in this case, his magazine? The doom and gloom surrounding the magazine/print business is scaring very talented publishing professionals away from the industry altogether. They are, in droves, flocking to anything that has the word “digital” attached to it—it’s truly starting to feel like 1999’s dot-com migration, at least some level, all over again.What about standing and fighting? I wonder if that thought has occurred at all, or if these individuals have become so disenchanted with the print business that they have just thrown up their hands.I’ve personally had many conversations with other publishers about this subject and there is a very clear line of distinction between those who grew up in the traditional world of publishing who have not been able to embrace change, innovate or see their brands as more than a circulation driven ad-page model, and those who actually see this supposed “dark period” as pure opportunity for experimentation, building beyond ad pages and circulation and concentrating on all of the exciting opportunities and platforms for magazine brands in areas outside of the busted newsstand sales, subscriptions and ad page business models.
Tags Share your voice Facebook has reportedly suspended three popular video pages designed to appeal to millennials after discovering the pages were backed by the Russian government. The pages, which Facebook suspended Friday, are run by Maffick Media, whose majority stakeholder is Ruptly, a subsidiary of Russia-backed RT, CNN reports. Facebook plans to contact the people running the pages and ask them to disclose their affiliations to get their pages back, CNN said. The move is unusual for Facebook, as it doesn’t require users to provide information about parent companies. But in an effort in increase transparency on the platform, Facebook has taken aggressive steps to identify covert government-supported information on its service. With more than 2 billion users worldwide, Facebook has been under pressure to reduce disinformation, hate speech and inauthentic behavior on the site. In 2017, the tech firm revealed it found evidence that Russians used the social network to meddle in the 2016 US presidential election and sow discord among Americans. Since then, Facebook has pulled down hundreds of accounts including some tied to influence campaigns by Iran. Facebook said that users shouldn’t be misled about who’s behind the pages they connect with. “Just as we’ve stepped up our enforcement of coordinated inauthentic behavior and financially motivated spam over the past year, we’ll continue improving so people can get more information about the Pages they follow,” a Facebook spokesman said in a statement. “For example, we’re now rolling out in phases an update to Pages with large audiences to include information about the primary countries they’re managed from. “Since this feature isn’t live yet for all, we’ll be reaching out to admins of these Pages to ask that they disclose this additional information and their affiliation with their parent company to get back on the platform,” Facebook said Maffick Media denied breaking Facebook’s rules. “We did not violate any of Facebook’s policies whatsoever. None of our content promotes disinformation or fake news,” the company said in a statement to its website Sunday. Disinformation has long been a part of Russia’s foreign policy strategy, and social media has allowed the trolling effort to expand on a viral scale. US intelligence agencies have warned Congress that these campaigns will continue in the future. The pages, which focused on current events, history and the environment, collected more than 30 million views since September, CNN reported. Originally published at 1:25 p.m. PT Updated at 3:15 p.m. with Facebook statement. Facebook Comments Internet Tech Industry 2
Map of DhakaAt least six people were killed and several others injured in three separate road accidents in Dhaka city, Kushtia and Narshingdi districts on Tuesday morning.An on-duty police constable was killed in a road accident near Gabtali bus terminal in the capital around 7:00am.The deceased is Abdul Mazid, 35, a resident of Naogaon district.Witnesses said Abdul Mazid died around 9:00am while undergoing treatment at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital’s emergency unit.Traffic police sergeant Monir Hossain said on-duty Mazid was injured as a truck hit him in Gabtali area.His body is kept in DMCH morgue.Map of NarsingdiIn Narsingdi, according to news agency UNB, a primary school teacher and a young man were killed in a head-on collision between a truck and CNG-run auto-rickshaw on Narsingdi-Raipura road in Sadar upazila on Tuesday morning.The deceased are Fatema Tuz Johora, 24, a teacher of Panchchabati Primary School and a resident of Puranpara area in district town and Bashir Miah, 26, of the area.The accident took place around 8:30am when a Raipura-bound CNG-run auto-rickshaw collided head-on with a truck from opposite direction, leaving Fatema dead on the spot and four others critically injured, said Md Muzaffar Ahmed, officer-in-charge of Sadar Police Station.Locals rescued the injured and sent them to Narsingdi Sadar Hospital from where Bashir was referred to Dhaka Medical College Hospital as his condition was deteriorating.Bashir succumbed to his injuries on way to DMCH, the OC added.Map of KushtiaIn Kushtia, three people were killed and several others were injured as bus knocked down a battery-run auto-vehicle (locally known easy-bike) in Sadar upazila of the district around 9:45am.Identities of the deceased could not be known immediately.Police and witnesses said a bus of SB Paribahan hit the battery-run vehicle after one of its tyres exploded, leaving three people dead on the spot.The injured were admitted to Kushtia General Hospital, the witnesses added.Islamic University police station officer-in-charge Ratan Sheikh said identities of the deceased could not be known as yet.
US president Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with state and local officials on school safety in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on 22 February, 2018 in Washington, DC. Photo: AFPUS president Donald Trump threatened to pull immigration and other federal law enforcement agents from California on Thursday, a warning shot to the country’s richest and most populous state.Complaining that California was not complying with his hardline position on migrants, Trump warned he could cut vital help from Washington and prompt a crime wave.”Frankly it’s a disgrace, the sanctuary city situation,” he said, referring to a policy adopted by around 300 local authorities, cities and states of limiting cooperation with strict federal immigration edicts.”We are getting no help from the state of California,” Trump continued, claiming the state was protecting members of the violent MS13 gang.”Frankly if I wanted to pull our people from California you would have a crime mess like you’ve never seen,” he said focusing on the role of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and other agencies.”All I would have to do is say ICE and Border Patrol leave California alone and you would be inundated, you would see crime like no one has ever seen crime in this country.”Trump has repeatedly equated migrants with criminals, and made hardline migration policies a central plank of his political platform.”In two months they’d be begging for us to come back. They would be begging. And you know what, I’m thinking about doing it.”
Jatiya Oikya Front leader Kamal Hossain speaking at a programme organised by Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD-Rob) at Jatiya Press Club on Friday. Photo: Prothom AloStating that the government is in trouble, Jatiya Oikya Front convener Kamal Hossain on Friday warned that it will not be able to run the country for long with ‘falsehood’, reports UNB.”This government is in trouble as it’s running the country staying in power without (proper) election. It’s now making various promises which are very difficult to fulfill,” Kamal said while speaking at a discussion arranged by Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal (JSD-Rob) marking the historic first flag hoisting day. “What happened on the night of 29 December? Was it a free, fair and neutral election? What was it actually? I would like to say it’s difficult to run a country of 160 million people based on falsehood and wrong information. It can’t be done, ” said the noted lawyer.Kamal, also the president of Gono Forum, said there is no disagreement among the people over some basic issues and they all believe that they are the owners of the country.”Nobody wants a monarchy here and nobody wants to see any king or queen here. Bengalee is such a nation which will never accept any king or queen in the country.”He said people now feel some sort of helplessness as the government is not showing respect for them as the owners of the country.”But no one should feel helpless when there are 17 crore people who can play the role of owners of the country. Those who think they have become the country’s owners dividing people they are making a mistake.”The Oikya Front chief said the country’s people ousted the autocratic rulers, including HM Ershad, through their united efforts in the past. “We’ll also get united now and bring the country under our occupation through a democratic and constitutional process.”Mentioning that the country was liberated based on unity of people; he said people’s ownership of the country will also be restored now based on unison among them.Speaking at the programme, JSD president Abdur Rob recalled the memory of hoisting the country’s flag for the first time on 2 March, 1971.Describing the current government as autocratic one, he said it will not leave power easily unless people come up with a united and strong resistance against it.Nagorik Oikya convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna said Awami League has snatched people’s voting rights on 29 December by using the state machinery.”The Awami League which liberated the country under the leadership of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujiubur Rahman doesn’t exist in the country. The current Awami League is an associate body of police league.”He said people on Thursday sent out a message to the government that they do not want any election under it by not going to polling stations to cast their votes in the by-polls to Dhaka North City Corporation’s mayoral post.