India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni (20) and hard-hitting batsman Harbhajan Singh (15) were at the crease with 183/6 on board as bad light followed by rains forced early stumps on Day 1 of the 2nd Test against South Africa at the Kingsmead Stadium in Durban on Sunday. ScoreDale Steyn celebrates after dismissing Murali Vijay. AP PhotoThanks to Dale Steyn’s four-wicket haul, the Indian batting line-up looked crippled like it did in Centurion. Things could have been worse for the visitors had they not been given three lives. Twice India opener Murali Vijay was dropped in the innings and once Hashim Amla failed to gather Cheteshwar Pujara off Paul Harris.Steyn started his wicket-taking run with Virender Sehwag’s dismissal, packing him off early in the innings and then it was the other opener Murali Vijay’s turn to follow. Both the batsmen were struggling in the middle on a damp wicket.An away moving ball clipped the edge of Sehwag’s bat and he departed on 25 with Jacques Kallis claiming his catch. Murali Vijay batting in place of regular opener Gautam Gambhir, out with a knuckle injury in his left hand, went back in the same fashion offering a catch to wicketkeeper Mark Boucher.In the second session, left-arm pacer Lonwabo Tsotsobe claimed the biggest wicket of his career dismissing Sachin Tendulkar on 13. An edge off Sachin’s bat was cleanly taken by Kallis in the slips cordon.Soon Steyn came back and struck again. A wider delivery got the edge of Dravid’s bat and landed in the safe gloves of Boucher. He fell on 25 after a 38-run partnership with Laxman.advertisementBut, Steyn’s job wasn’t over as yet. After sending Dravid home, he dispatched Laxman on 38.Taking cue from Steyn, Tsotsobe too upped the ante. A short ball from him lured the inexperienced Pujara and he attempted a pull shot, but failed miserably and Boucher performed the last rites. He went for 19.Earlier, Protea skipper Graeme Smith put India to bat on a wicket that had been rendered damp following overnight showers.Like Centurion, this Test too started a little late owing to wet outfield.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Inter Milan striker Lukaku: We need to do more for Conteby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveInter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku admits they had to fight for their draw with Champions League opponents Slavia Prague.Inter needed a late goal from Nicolo Barella to earn the point.”The first half was very hard for us because Slavia played at such a high tempo and pressed us,” Lukaku said.“In the last 20 minutes we created lots of chances to score, but it wasn’t the perfect game today because we didn’t win.“We have to work hard to improve this season. As a team, we have to work hard every day to do what the Coach wants because we have the ability to do really well, but we need to work hard every day.”On the Derby della Madonnina on Saturday, he added: “We’re a great team and anyone who comes up against Inter knows it will be difficult for them.“We’ll be very well prepared for the game, for sure.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
zoom Norwegian dry bulk operator Western Bulk managed to shrink its net loss in the first half of the year to USD 2.1 million from USD 10 million reported in the same period in 2016.Western Bulk said that the net result also exhibited “a very positive development” during the first half of 2017, increasing from the first to the second quarter, yielding a positive net result for the second quarter of 2017.Net time charter result improved from USD 1.3 million in the first six months of 2016 to USD 15.1 million seen in the first half of this year, aided by an improved dry bulk market, market volatility, improved customer relationships, better operational performance and an increased fleet.The first half of 2017 saw the Baltic Supramax Index 58’(BSI) perform better than many expected, particularly in February and March after the end of the Chinese New Year, before falling back again during during May, Western Bulk informs.As a whole, the first half of 2017 ended more or less where it started at USD 8,500/day, but with variations from the low level of 6,430/day on February 6 to the higher level of 10,090/day on April 20.“Rates are still low in a historical perspective, but considerably higher than the previous 2 years in the same period,” the company said, adding that “volatility in rates also improved, particularly in Q1-17, as rates increased sharply before falling off in Q2-17.”The strength of the BSI in the first half of the year and particularly the first quarter “was better than many expected, and goes some way to showing that the market is slowly recovering and gradually closing the oversupply gap.”The order book for new tonnage is slowly decreasing. Provided demand increases in line with expected development in GDP and trade volumes, the market is expected to gradually improve, Western Bulk said.
APTN National NewsStories of discrimination and sexual harassment experienced by Indigenous women in taxicabs have circulated for years in Manitoba.Now a chiefs’ organization is calling for changes.APTN’s Dennis Ward has the story.
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Facing investigations by gambling regulators and allegations of sexual misconduct, billionaire casino mogul Steve Wynn has stepped down as chairman and CEO of the resorts bearing his names.The Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts in a statement said Wynn’s resignation Tuesday was effective immediately. It came less than two weeks after the Wall Street Journal reported that a number of women said Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement.“In the last couple of weeks, I have found myself the focus of an avalanche of negative publicity,” Wynn said in a written statement. “As I have reflected upon the environment this has created — one in which a rush to judgment takes precedence over everything else, including the facts — I have reached the conclusion I cannot continue to be effective in my current roles.”Wynn has vehemently denied the report’s allegations, which he attributes to a campaign led by his ex-wife. An attorney for Elaine Wynn has denied that she instigated the news report.Wynn now faces investigations by gambling regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, where the company is building a roughly $2.4 billion casino just outside Boston. The company earlier said a committee of independent directors would investigate the allegations that surfaced Jan. 26.Shares of Wynn Resorts’ China arm, Wynn Macau Ltd., were suspended from trading on the Hong Kong stock exchange on Wednesday in Asia. Gambling regulators in Macau, the world’s biggest casino market, said they were officially notified about the resignation.Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau also said in a statement that its director, Paulo Martins Chan, and the city’s financial and economic secretary, Lionel Leong, met last week with Wynn Macau Executive Director Linda Chen to request a detailed explanation of the allegations and demand Wynn notify it of any “result, progress or important information” from the investigation within an unspecified time frame.The company, which said previously it would co-operate with the regulator’s requests, operates two casino-resorts in the Chinese enclave that generate about two-thirds of its total revenues.A wave of sexual misconduct claims against prominent figures in entertainment, media and politics gained momentum last fall in the aftermath of articles detailing movie producer Harvey Weinstein’s decades of alleged rape and harassment. But Wynn is the first CEO and founder of a major publicly held company to come under scrutiny since the Weinstein allegations surfaced.Wynn is a titan in Sin City and played a major role in the revitalization of the Las Vegas Strip in the 1990s. He built the Bellagio, Treasure Island and Mirage before he sold his Mirage Resorts company in 2000. Two years later, he founded Wynn Resorts, which now operates two luxurious casino-resorts in the city and is in the process of building a lake and hotel development called Paradise Park on the site of a former golf course.Wynn’s two Macau casinos include the older Wynn Macau near the former Portuguese colony’s historic old town, and the Wynn Palace, which in 2016 became the latest opulent resort to open in the new district of Cotai, joining lavish developments by rivals including Las Vegas Sands.In announcing Wynn’s resignation, the company’s board of directors made clear it had done so “reluctantly.”“It is with a collective heavy heart, that the board of directors of Wynn Resorts today accepted the resignation of our founder, CEO and friend Steve Wynn,” said Boone Wayson, who was named non-executive chairman of the board. Matt Maddox, the company’s president since 2013, was named CEO effective immediately.Details of Wynn’s separation agreement were not immediately disclosed.Wynn resigned as finance chairman of the Republican National Committee a day after the allegations were published.Since 2013, Wynn has contributed nearly $2.4 million to GOP candidates and party organizations around the country, including Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval and 2017 special election winners. Some Republicans in Congress, including Nevada’s Dean Heller, have already announced they are donating contributions they received from Wynn to charity.___Associated Press business writer Kelvin Chan in Hong Kong contributed to this report.___Follow Regina Garcia Cano on Twitter at https://twitter.com/reginagarciakNO
New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind will confer the Padma Awards on March 11 and 15 in two investiture ceremonies at the Rashtrapati Bhavan as the Modi government has claimed to have transformed the national honours into “people’s choice” trophies by involving the general public in sending entries. For the awards announced on the eve of Republic Day, the government received a record 50,000 nominations, 20 times more than the 2,200 entries in 2014. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity! The awardees include 12 farmers from nine states, 14 doctors from 11 states, nine sportspersons, 16 social workers and others representing various fields. Of the 112 named for the awards, 56 will receive the honour on March 11. Among those to be awarded on March 11 include Balasaheb alias Balwant Moreshwar Purandare from Maharashtra who will be honoured with the Padma Vibhushan. There will be eight Padma Bhushan honours to be given to John Chambers, Sardar Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, Pravin Jamnadas Gordhan, Vishwanathan Mohanlal, Budhaditya Mukherjee, Karia Munda, Kuldip Nayar (posthumous) and Hukumdev Narayan Yadav. The Padma award winners will interact with the winners of Padma Quiz organised by the government last week which saw participation by 35,499 people.
Kolkata: The English and Comparative Literature departments of Jadavpur University (JU) have disapproved the recommendations of the expert committee and have decided to admit students in the undergraduate level only on the basis of marks scored in entrance test.The two-member admission committee formed by JU had recommended admission with 50 percent weightage on admission test and another 50 percent on the marks scored in higher secondary or equivalent examination. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja”Bengali, International Relations, Philosophy and History departments are in favour of equal weightage. This was decided at the meeting of the admission committee for humanities on Thursday,” said Subhasish Biswas, chairperson of the committee. The English and Comparative Literature departments have been conducting admission tests for decades and after the problem with admission process, they had to revert back to the 50:50 formula in 2018. “Now, they have decided to admit students only on the basis of marks in the admission test. The decision of the meeting will be placed before the executive committee (EC), whose meeting is scheduled for next week,” a member of the admission committee said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayIt may be mentioned that EC is the highest decision making body in the varsity. In 2018, that there were allegations of improper evaluation of answer scripts of History and the varsity had to conduct re-evaluation with external academicians. It was found that there was a significant variation of marks secured by the candidates in the first and second evaluation. There were as many as 15 changes in the revised selection list for History. A total number of 15 candidates, who were on the waiting list after the earlier evaluation, made it to the selection list after re-evaluation. A total of 344 scripts were re-evaluated. The merit list for admission was prepared on the basis of the 50:50 system. The varsity had then formed a two-member panel to come up with recommendations for admission. The panel had presented the same to Vice-Chancellor Suranjan Das in February. It may be mentioned that state Education minister Partha Chatterjee has said that all the departments at JU should follow a standardised admission process. It should be either on the basis of marks or on the basis of admission test.
NEW DELHI: Delhi on Sunday witnessed a sharp drop of 5 per cent vote than the 2014 Lok Sabha poll. In 2014, the total voter turnout was nearly 65 per cent which became 60 per cent in 2019.Sources in political parties listed issues like heat, smearing campaigns, voter list deletion, non-alliance and pro-incumbency for this turnout. While BJP sources focused on the pro-incumbency factor the AAP observed that voter list deletion played the major role. Meanwhile, the common people took a dig into the smearing campaign and non-alliance. “The AAP and Congress alliance were much needed in Delhi. It did not happen and there is no point to cast vote as BJP will anyway. I also did not like the kind of blame game all the political parties did. The politicians in Delhi have stoop down so low that I lost my faith from the electoral scene,” said Rishav Mehta who was supposed to vote from the New Delhi constituency but did not. The ruling Aam Aadmi Party has been alleging that lakhs of names of voters have been deleted, even as poll body rejected its allegations. Taking to Twitter, Delhi Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot said, “Voters unable to find their votes at polling booths. It is true that on large scale votes have been deleted. All these are resident of Jai Vihar-I, Najafgarh.” He asked what the ECI had to say about this and sought to know who was responsible for the voters’ constitutional right to be taken away like this. “Vote deleted this time. All are regularly voting in the past.” Delhi Home Minister Satyendra Jain tweeted with images of voter identity cards of people whose names were not in the list. Over 1.43 crore people in Delhi are eligible to vote in this election which will decide the fate of 164 candidates, of which 18 are women. There are 43 independent candidates. While 2,54,723 voters are in the age group of 18 and 19, there are 40,532 electorates with a disability who would be provided pick up and drop facility. Delhiites on Sunday voted to decide the fate of at least 164 candidates, who are fighting for the seven Lok Sabha seats in the capital. In 2014, the BJP won all the seven seats and is looking to repeat the feat. The three main parties –BJP, Congress and AAP –have fielded their state party chiefs from a single constituency. BJP’s Manoj Tiwari, DPCC chief Sheila Dikshit and AAP’s Delhi chief Dilip Pandey are all locking horns in north-east Delhi constituency that is reeling under the key issues of bad roads, overflowing drains and garbage disposal.
Dubai: A sprawling penthouse in the iconic Palm Jumeirah island in Dubai has fetched a whopping USD 20 million, making it the second-most expensive apartment sold in the UAE’s real estate history. The 20,000 square-foot apartment situated on a prime plot of the Palm Jumeirah entrance One Palm offers stunning views of Dubai Marina’s skyline and the Arabian Gulf. The five-bedroom apartment has immaculate landscaped rooftop terrace with pool designed by world renowned landscape designer Vladimir Djurovic. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra”The space is truly incomparable, it is the epitome of luxury perfectly balanced with modern elegance complementing the surroundings of One Palm,” said Mahdi Amjad, Executive Chairman and CEO of Omniyat Properties, Dubai-based property development group which sold the penthouse. “Considering the modern lifestyle and high standards of living that the emirate offers, Dubai continues to cement itself as the most sought-after residential location of choice, with multi-millionaires shifting their home base to the country,” he said. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysThe company said it sold the property at 73 million dirhams (USD 20 million) and beat its own 2017 record when it sold the most expensive penthouse in Dubai for 102 million dirhams. Details of the buyer who has scooped up the second-most expensive penthouse have not been disclosed. The Palm Jumeirah is an artificial archipelago in the UAE and is known for glitzy hotels, posh apartment towers and upmarket global restaurants.