Drivers in Anchorage Alaska can pay for a parking ticket in school

first_imgEnlarge Image mcdomx/Getty Images Drivers in Anchorage, Alaska can now pay for a parking ticket in pens and pencils, in an effort to help underprivileged kids get enough school supplies, the Anchorage Daily News reports.Specifically, drivers with a ticket that’s under 30 days old can pay their $20 fine by submitting 200 No. 2 pencils or 100 black or blue pens during the next two weeks. Now, before all you Alaskan parking scofflaws start twirling your mustaches and looking at buying pencils by the crate, EasyPark — the company that handles parking enforcement for Anchorage — will only let you pay for one ticket this way.(As a resident of Los Angeles, I want to take a second and imagine living in a place where parking tickets only cost $20. If parking enforcement attempted to offer this kind of alternate payment idea here, the city would likely drown in a sea of Bics and Ticonderogas, but I digress.)”Providing assistance by accepting school supply items for parking citations is a positive start in supporting our local students for a successful school year,” said Demetric Tuggle, parking director for EasyPark, in a statement.If you live in Anchorage and want to pay a ticket off with writing implements, you can go to the EasyPark office at 440 B St. between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays from Friday through Aug. 9.We checked, and no, Ms. Tuggle is not actually a character from a Thomas Pynchon novel, she’s just a lady trying to help the kids in Anchorage, and we support that. If you don’t have a ticket, but you want to donate school supplies anyway, you can contact Helping Us Give School Supplies (Hugss) here. Share your voice 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Post a comment 2019 Jeep Wrangler review: First-place performance 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything bettercenter_img 0 Car Culture Random Tags More From Roadshowlast_img read more

VW exCEO told of defeat device admission weeks before news was public

first_imgVolkswagen’s former chief executive Martin Winterkorn was informed that the car-maker had told regulators it was using defeat devices two weeks before the scandal became public, German tabloid Bild am Sonntag reported Sunday.It said it was in possession of a letter sent Sept. 4, 2015, by an unnamed manager directly to then-CEO Winterkorn that said: “In the conversation on 03.09.2015 with the regulator CARB (California Air Resources Board), the defeat device was admitted. (sic)”Volkswagen’s US CEO Michael Horn told a U.S. House of Representatives hearing in October the company had told regulators Sept. 3 it was using defeat devices.A letter pointing to the then-CEO could lend weight to the cases of shareholders planning to sue Volkswagen for compensation for the plunge in its share price, saying VW should have told the public as soon as it became aware.The law firm acting for Winterkorn, who resigned on Sept. 23, was not immediately reachable for comment.A Volkswagen spokesman said the company declined to comment on an ongoing investigation.German financial watchdog Bafin is investigating whether Volkswagen breached disclosure rules when it admitted to falsifying U.S. emissions tests in September. It said last month the probe would probably take several more months.In parallel with investigations by various authorities, Volkswagen has hired law firm Jones Day to carry out an internal probe into identifying who ordered engineers to develop and install software designed to cheat U.S. diesel-emissions tests, and who knew.The discovery of the cheating, which U.S. authorities announced Sept. 18, unleashed one of Volkswagen’s biggest-ever scandals, leading to the resignation of several top managers and likely to cost it tens of billions of dollars.The news wiped 17 percent, or more than €13 billion ($14.2 billion), off Volkswagen’s market value on the next trading day.Volkswagen is expected to present the first results of its investigation in April. It has said so far it has no reason to believe that more than a few people were involved in the cheating, and not at top level.last_img read more

4 JMB men held in Natore drive

first_imgNatore police superintendent Biplob Bijoy Talukder speaking with reporters after conducting a drive where four suspected activists of JMB surrendered to the law enforcers in Natore. Photo: Muktar HossainPolice in a drive arrested four suspected activists of banned militant outfit Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) from Dighapatia, on the outskirts of Natore town, early Tuesday, reports news agency UNB.The arrestees are—Anisur Rahman Anis, a resident of Arkandi village in Singra upazila, Shafikul Islam and Fazlur Rahman, residents of Chapapukur village in Bagatipara upazila and Jakir Hossian, a resident of Kholabaria village in Naldanga upazila.Acting on a tip-off, a police team cordoned off a house adjacent to the Uttara Gonobhaban around 3:00am and started operation at the house from 5:30am and asked the insiders to surrender to the law enforcers after nine rounds of firing, claimed police.After one hour, the four suspected activists of JMB surrendered to the law enforcers.Police, later, recovered five hand bombs, petrol, a laptop, one motorcycle and books searching the house.Details will be come to light after interrogation of the arrestees and investigation, said Natore police superintendent Biplob Bijoy Talukder.last_img read more